Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Broke off the cylinder head screw

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:25 PM
Default Broke off the cylinder head screw

I was working on replacing my head gasket for the first time with my friend couple nights ago. As we were putting everything back to way it was, I accidentally over-torqued the screw cap when I was sealing the valve cover. The screw cap broke off the bolt and now the oil is leaking from the valve cover. I was wondering if I could replace this bolt/stud or do I have to completely replace the cylinder head. Help me, please!

Old 04-26-2011, 03:45 AM
HCF Member

Ahh..I know what you're talking about. I had it happen to me. You can go to Honda Parts at HondaPartsDeals.com: Honda Accessory, Honda Car Parts, Honda Auto Parts, Honda Accord Parts & buy the bolt individually or just go to your nearest junk yard to get one(I pocketed mine *wink*).

Now the question is...How are we(well...you) going to get the cover off to get the bolt out? Got a drill?

Old 04-27-2011, 09:03 PM

Thank you so much for the reply. I'm looking at the website that you provided and it does seem like I could replace the bolt that you were talking about. Just to make sure, is it the #14 that I have to replace?

That's a good question. The top part of the bolt, where it's sticking on the valve cover is completely torn off. So I won't have to worry about getting the valve cover off; I've actually taken off once. I think I'm set as along as I get the replacement bolt for the cylinder head...right?

Old 04-28-2011, 03:28 AM
HCF Member

If you're talking about the 2 bolts that are on the REAR of the valve cover(close to the intake manifold & fuel rail) then yeah..it's number 14. Two bolts are included so it would be wise to change out both bolts in case the other snaps off too.

I forgot how I took the OLD Broken bolt off tho, either with a regular wrench or a deep socket, you'll figure it out.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:17 AM

Sir i have a problem somewhat similar. The thread holding the bolt in the cylinder head was the one that broke. in their case its the bold head. In my case, its the thread the bolt holds, holding the valve cover in place in the cylinder head. now, the oil leaks. my question is, can that thing be welded, and re-thread again to hold the bolt and the valve cover?

Old 01-13-2012, 05:45 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I'm not sure what you're talking about. If it's a bolt broken off where it threads into the head itself, this is a common repair. Drill and extract the broken piece, if the threads in the head are damaged install a helicoil.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:18 AM

you can check the picture sir. encircled is the part that was broken. can i bring this to machine shop and have it weld then drilled again for the thread?

Old 01-14-2012, 04:18 AM

Old 01-14-2012, 04:19 AM
Old 01-14-2012, 07:05 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Take that part off and put it in a drill press.

You will probably need to take all the bearing cap bolts out and lift the complete rocker arm assembly out of the car as a unit. Then slide the part in question off of the end. Be careful the rocker arm assembly can fall apart when it is not bolted in.

Drill out the broken bolt and tap for a helicoil if necessary. Don't weld anything.

Quick Reply: Broke off the cylinder head screw