Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Broken A/C compressor.. Maybe more? Help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Default Broken A/C compressor.. Maybe more? Help.

Hi there, Please excuse my lack of 'car technology language', I recently purchased a 2008 honda civic sedan. About a month ago after a long drive, noticed under my hood was making a loud ratteling noise, and the A/C stopped working. I took it in to my Honda dealership, They told me the A/C compressor needed to be fixed, And it was over 1k to fix it, I asked if it was nessessary they told me its loud, And if i can stand the noice and the heat it would not damage my engine. So ive been driving it 'as is', until today, it is louder than normal, the ratteling has subsided but not the car sounds loud in general. It started to smell, maybe like burning rubber (but i was driving past a refinery and thought that was the cause LOL) , Shortly after it started to smoke while i was at a red light, smell came again. And as i was trying to make it home.. On a causeway, The whole car shut off (yes while driving) the stearing wheel went stiff as well, i pulled into a parking lot waited a bit and drove it another 2 mins down the road to where i live. Scared as S&%T. Because im a 21 year old female.. And everyyone know how much mechanics love to rip of the likes of people like me. Can someone shed some light on this issue and hopfully tell me whats wrong so i can go in knowing a LITTLE bit. Oh also there is no engine light on, and no maintence light on (which is a little weird) As my car should atleast give me a DANGER sign besides a weird smell before it decides to shut off while doing 70KMs/Hr. Please help. a cost estimate would be great too.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:28 PM
HCF Member

It looks like your compressor is gone and its pulley/drive shaft siezed, allowing the belt to spin on the pulley. The belt then heated up enough (from friction) to cause the smoke and smell. If the drive belt broke, your alternator and power steering pump could have lost their source of power (the drive belt).

My guess is you will need a compressor and belt. Call a Better business bureau-approved shop in your area to get an estimate. If you know someone who can recommend a good, honest shop, give them a call. If you live in the San Diego area, I can recommend someone.