Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Buying car, what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Default Buying car, what to look for?

So, within the next couple weeks I'll probably be buying a civic, year 1994 - 1998. Somewhere in between there, I'm still looking at ads, dealerships, craigslist, kijiji, etc. What are some things I should look for, I'll be bringing my buddy who works on civics, and cars all the time, and I'll also be getting it checked out at my parents mechanic.

Is there anything I can look/listen for?

Any help is appreciated.

Search is broken for me, I would have looked, but can't.

Thanks!

Old 07-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Default RE: Buying car, what to look for?

i wouldn't buy from a dealership... i don't really trust them. plus a dealership won't give you as good of a deal as a private seller. ask if the timing belt has been changed and when it was changed,

Old 07-14-2008, 02:57 PM

look for rust on rear quarter panels, look for oil leaks, fluid leaks, etc. check to see that the fluids look like they should. that will probably give you an idea of how well the car was maintained.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:50 AM

For Sale;
1997 Honda Civic SI 2 DR coupe 5 speed.
207xxx highway km.
1.6Liters
Fully Loaded, VERY Clean, Power Locks, Power Mirrors, Power Windows, Power Sunroof, Cruise Control, Ice Cold Air Conditioning, Bucket Seats, Anti-Lock Brakes, Drivers Air Bag, Passenger Air Bags, Black Exterior, Grey Interior,Alarm-System!
Transmission needs a new bearing, makes slight winding.
E-Tested and will pass emissions!
This is the car I'm looking at. Is the transmission needing a new bearing a relatively serious issue?

Once again, any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:08 AM
HCF Member

Gimmie the VIN and let me run a check for you.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:10 AM

I just e-mailed him to ask for it, thanks for the help, I'll get back to you.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:08 AM

which bearing is it?

Old 07-15-2008, 06:52 PM

I'm not sure, didn't ask. But my buddy who works on cars said we can just replace the entire tranny for a few hundred. Also, is standard hard to learn, I've gotta learn before I buy this car.

Thanks again.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Keyboard
Also, is standard hard to learn, I've gotta learn before I buy this car.
i used to have an automatic civic until the end of may and then i sold it and bought this Del Sol. It's a stick and I drove it home with no prior manual driving experience when we bought it. I stalled once in that entire 15 miles, which IMO is pretty good for never driving a stick before and being alone in the car, and then the next day I had some trouble with stalling and the next day i had the "starting from a stop without stalling the engine" down.

the hardest part is making sure you don't just take your foot right off the clutch, you gotta let the clutch out slowly or you'll stall. easiest thing to do if your engine starts to stall is to stick your foot right back on the clutch and the engine will usually recover (doing this saves you from being humiliated and stalling). trust me, it's pretty embarrassing when you stall.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:01 PM

Good to hear, I can't wait to go take a look. I told my mom I was going to buy a manual and she freaked, said I'm making a huge mistake....ah women. I might check it out Thursday, and then another day come by with my buddy and he can drive it home for me and take a look at everything.

Quick Reply: Buying car, what to look for?