Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

A/C Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Default A/C Problem...

Hey guys I need help... My A/C KEEPS GOING OUT!!! I have already had it replaced but then the new one went out. So I either have the worst luck on earth, or there is something else. Right before all of this started happening I was driving on the freeway and I herd this god awful sound. I pull over and my under car splash shield is hanging off. I drive home carefully but I kept stoppping along the way and noticed that I was rubbing on some belts and my tire pretty good... but there was nothing I could do and I was pretty close to home. When I got home my dad and I took it off and everything was fine. Then about a week or two latermy A/C goes out. The mechanic tells me its the compressor, I have him change it. And a week later it goes out again. I buy a new one a new mechanic puts it in and... you guessed it... a week later it goes out. Here in Arizona it has been 110 degrees and I need the A/C!!!!

1.Could it be something other than the compressor?

2.Could something be making the compressor not work?

3.And... How hard is it to change out the compressor because I can't spend anymore money on having a dead-beat machanic do it for me... I figure if it doesn't work then I want to be the reason behind it (hahahaha but at least I would have tried!)

Old 08-12-2007, 11:18 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: A/C Problem...

1) Yes, of course. If you can turn the front plate of your compressor (on the very end of the unit with the pulley) by hand, the compressor may be OK. When the compressor seizes up, usually the belt will break. So see if the belt is still there.

2) When a compressor goes bad it usually shreds inside and spits out little bits of metal. These land in other parts of the system and if they aren't removed they come back around and ruin the new compressor. Once this cycle has started to happen you can't just keep slapping on new compressors without cleaning or replacing all the other parts.

3) Not hard, but consider 2 above. You also need some specialized equipment to evacuate and charge the system but you can buy it yourself and it will rather quickly (within 2 or 3 uses) pay for itself.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya if any junk is in the line it will just keep jaking up the internals....... if you replace it again id say replace EVERYTHING...... all lines condeser... all that stuff all the way into the cabin as well!!!!!!

i mean you COULD try to take the lines off and blow them out BUT you dont want ANY WATER in those lines! not sure HOW you could blow the lines out realy good... cause even a small shaving COULD THRASH the new compresor as well!!!! and the radiator thing just has to be replaced.... thiers just WAY to many tubes in it to blow our properly!

downfall........... IT DEFINATLY WONT BE CHEAP!!!!!!!!

BUT if you have it done RIGHT it should last!!!!!

Old 08-12-2007, 03:27 PM
HCF Member

Hey man not to to take your forum but on the same topic. My AC is acting up to. When I trun it on it doesnt turn on just hot air comes out. But sometimes when I turn it on it does come on. Like the compressor fans not turning but then when I turn it off and back on it comes on. I dont know how to really expain it but, can any one help?

Old 08-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: soundcivic

Hey man not to to take your forum but on the same topic. My AC is acting up to. When I trun it on it doesnt turn on just hot air comes out. But sometimes when I turn it on it does come on. Like the compressor fans not turning but then when I turn it off and back on it comes on. I dont know how to really expain it but, can any one help?
well if the compressor kicks ON and OFF..... then thats cause your coolant level is low........ if its got low pressure the computer will kick the compressor off.... take it into be recharged... should be preaty simple fix... BUT you should have its pressure checked... if you know what PSI your coolant SHOULD BE you could recharge it yourself if its a 95+ I THINK you can buy 134 almost anywhere but if its the older R12 stuff you cannt buy that and need to pay to have it retrofited for the R134.... you CAN NOT mix the two!
but if your coolant system is R134 just buy one of those quick charge kits with the gauge/hose and r134 can..... if its kicking ON and OFF id say 1 can SHOULD do it....

Old 08-12-2007, 04:40 PM
HCF Member

Nice, I have a 94 ex., I know how to charge it back, but how do I know what Refridgerant to use?

Old 08-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member

look for the AC sticker under the hood it should say R-12 or R134......

Old 08-12-2007, 05:06 PM

What kind of hoses and parts would I need to replace? I wouldn't know where to start or what to ask for at a car parts store!!!

Old 08-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well id say go to the dealership and talk to them about what parts youd need to replace and run some prices... it wont be cheap BUT you shouldnt have that NEW compressor go out AGAIN...... cause your mechanic must SUCK or something....
next time be sure its GARENTED thier work....

Old 08-12-2007, 05:14 PM

Yeah man my mechanic did suck... everytime I would take my car there the problem would get fixed, but then right away something related would go wrong. I am pretty interested in fixing up my car, so I have decided that I got to learn sometime so for most of the work I am going to try to do it myself... with some help from the people of the forum.

Quick Reply: A/C Problem...