Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Cam and cam gear questions

Old 09-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Default Cam and cam gear questions

So I bought my first Civic a little over a month ago. A 1996 HB with a swapped B16a2. Everything has paperwork from a mechanic including the Quaife lsd, clutch and flywheel as well as the suspension work. I noticed that it also has aftermarket cam gears. They are from L'Natural Motorsports. I can't seem to find any info on them and I'm just wondering if anyone has any insight. When I bought the car he didn't mention them. With that in mind I'm wondering if he had aftermarket cams installed. I'm guessing there were certain mods on the engine when he swapped it i.e. the cam gears, possibly the cams, and a DC header.

So is there any way for me to tell if the cams are aftermarket without ripping open the head? It doesn't idle rough or anything like that and from what I'm told that's a very good indicator that they're performace cams.

Why would someone go to the trouble to install performace cam gears if the cams aren't? Is there any real benifit? I'd call the guy myself but I don't have his number anymore. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 09-09-2011, 09:56 AM

Pic of the cam gears? Never heard of them. Google wasn't much help either.

The way the car runs has nothing to do with what cams per se. The Integra I have been driving recently is 100% stock and sounds cammed since the timing is way off. Alternatively, I have had a few different cams installed in my D16 and some sounded close to "stock".

I doubt there is a way to tell if they are aftermarket cams unless you pull them out.

People install aftermarket cam gears for bling factor a lot of the times.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:58 AM

I'd send you some pics but the car is out of commision for about a month and a half. I got cut off by some ahole, who then thought it would be funny to slam on his breaks, on the highway and decided to put my car into a rAil rather then rear end him and get into a massive accident. So 3 tie rods, upper control arms and a cv joint later it's with my auto body guy. When it's all finished I'll throw up some pics. When I spoke to my mechanic he said the same thing about having to rip it apart to figure it out. He also mentioned my timing was a tiny bit off so that's why it's idling a little rough. It's barely noticable though. So now I wait.....