Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Cap and Rotor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 12:19 PM
HCF Member
Default Cap and Rotor Replacement

I've just replaced my spark plugs with ngk iridiums and wires with MSD.Now i would like to replace the cap and rotors any one know how much they would cost at the dealers or are there other brand that are better. Also anyone have a write up or explanation of how i can replace the cap and rotors.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:58 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Cap and Rotor Replacement

MY Si Cap and Rotor where about 40 dollars at my dealer....What model and yr do you have

Old 12-29-2007, 02:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya about 40bucks but i bought mine from autozone.......

Old 12-29-2007, 03:43 PM
mxs
HCF Member

Buy them at the dealer! When it comes to ignition parts, don't waste your money on anything but OEM.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:55 PM
HCF Member

But if you actually want to save money, the Auto Zone way will work. Even a new cap & rotor every 10,000 miles from Auto Zone, will be cheaper than an OEM from the stealership every 50,000.

Since they're so easy to change, replacing them more often 'taint nuthin'. (Unlike on my '97 Dodge Ram -buried about18" 'under' the firewall almost directly behind the stereo... can't even see it from anywhere in the engine bay - it must be done 'blind' and you'll spend all day on it.)

Old 12-29-2007, 04:12 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya for some trucks its murder to change them out! my old S10 was a PITA to change the cap as well.... but ive had no problem buying the cap and button from autozone myself.... the only downfall i dont like about swaping the cap is that stupid little spring that is SO EASILY BENT outta shape! i wish it came with a new one...
but if it was anything more than just metal contacts like the coil... then ya i would buy OEM...

Old 12-29-2007, 04:14 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Type RB

But if you actually want to save money, the Auto Zone way will work. Even a new cap & rotor every 10,000 miles from Auto Zone, will be cheaper than an OEM from the stealership every 50,000.
Explain your math, because the total price on a new cap and rotor from the dealer comes to about 31 dollars.

link

Old 12-29-2007, 04:19 PM
HCF Member

My cap and rotor where more expensive at Auto Zone. ******..They wanted to sell me there Duralast gold..Nah I just went to the dealer and got my stuff

Old 12-29-2007, 04:29 PM
HCF Member

i think i will go with the oem's. anyone know how to replace it.i have a hx coupe, similar to the ex coupe's.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:30 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mxs

ORIGINAL: Type RB

Explain your math, because the total price on a new cap and rotor from the dealer comes to about 31 dollars.

link
90 miles to the next town+ 1 Honda Dealership = San Angelo, TX. The stealership mark-up is ridiculous here - when you can even get the parts you're after. I tried to get VTEC Solenoid seals two weeks ago from our stealership, and they flat-out blew me off. Wound up ordering them from the eBay vendor, and paid about the same price quoted from the Awfulplex... even with the $25 shipping.

Let me qualify my earlier remarks - if you can get them cheaper through your dealership, then fine - have a ball.

Quick Reply: Cap and Rotor Replacement