Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car dies after riding for7-10 miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Default car dies after riding for7-10 miles

I have a 96 civic ex and purchased it new. I have never had any serious problems w/the car. Recently I have experienced problems after starting the car and driving for about 10 miles the car will just die. The car won't start. after waiting about 5 mins it will crank right up. I have brought this to my mechanic 3 times and he of course can't duplicate the prob to fix it. This is becoming a hassle and I don't want to bring to any mech. Does any one have any ideas? Mech says posssibly the distributor itself but doesn't want to replace unless it goes completly out. Could this be a computer prob?

Old 06-05-2007, 03:12 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: car dies after riding for7-10 miles

You seeing any wierd symptoms just before it dies? If so, please explain in detail.

Also, any issues at startup? at idle?

Old 06-05-2007, 08:03 AM

Ah the summer months and Honda Civic Main relays... I had the exact same problem for over a year. It just about drove me insane.

I just pointed out to another fellow herethat that may be the problem. Check your main relay, it's located under your dash just above your left foot. You just need a 10mm wrench to get it out and then you can pop the cap off and examine the solder connections where the pins come through the circut board.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:45 AM

no sympoms when it dies and no idle problems. Actually I was on the highway leaving the shop going about 55mph and the whole car just died. All the lights on the dash came on. Another weird thing is after the car dies and restarts the left blinker will blink really fast but then go to its normal speed. Is this just coincidence?

Old 06-05-2007, 06:06 PM

It might not be the relay, hondas have a ton of wiring , goodluck!!!! It might be the voltage regulator, take to AUtozone and have it tested, why not, if your car can make it there, consider yourself lucky!!!

Old 08-16-2007, 10:39 AM

When was the last time you changed the fuel fllter.I already seen a car react just like you discribed,change fuel filter and BINGO,back in business.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:45 AM

I am having the exact same problem with my 95 Civic EX (1.6L Vtec). Except I don't have the blinker light problem. I will be driving along, and the engine check light comes on, and the engine quits. If I try to start it back up right away, it just cranks.IfI wait a few minutes, it starts back up and goes for another 10 or so miles, then quits. After reading some in this forum, I am thinking it may be the main relay, but not sure. Right now I am trying to duplicate the problem so I can see if I can hear the fuel pump purging when I try to start it up just after it dies. If it doesn't, I will try rapping on the main relay. If it does, I don't know what to do. Thanks in advance for any help.

ps. its been a while since I change the fuel filter, so I will do that. How about the PCV valve? Should I change it too?

Old 08-16-2007, 09:55 PM

Actually i did change the fuel filter and still the same prob. it's seemed to ride for longer time but it died again. at first it would die only while driving not while idling. i could idle for hrs and not die. now it dies after 10 min of idling. i guess i should try to check fuel pump? any suggstions?

Old 08-16-2007, 10:34 PM
HCF Member

spark plugs?

or main relay im guessing.. i have a major wiring issue right now with my integra.. soo im in the process of cutting all the tape off one i got today for like.. 40 dollars.. and tracing the wires that exploded
soo i can see if they are bad in my car... and then try to replace the harness if nothing else

good place to get dizzys if it comes to that is tigerjapanese.com 130 brand new

i got one from there and it is amazing

Old 08-21-2007, 10:29 AM

changed the fuel filter. no change. replaced the main relay. still have the problem. not sure where to turn next. I replaced the control module in the distributor a couple of months ago, along with the cap and rotor, plugs and wires. So I am ruling those out. I think it may be an ignition problem because the car doesn't sputter or anything before it dies. It just dies. Seems to be getting worse. any suggestions?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: car dies after riding for7-10 miles