Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car dying issue.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 06:56 PM
HCF Member
Default Car dying issue.

Well, about a week ago, I was in the cities driving normal and stuff.. Then when I would downshift from 3rd to 2nd, to slow down for a stoplight and when i'd let off the clutch after I went to 2nd, my car would just die, which was really odd.. Then sometimes when I was at a stoplight, it would be in 1st and i'd have the clutch in, and it would die for no reason. Also, sometimes when I turned corners, and downshifted from 3rd to 2nd, it would die when I released the clutch. I just didn't understand what was going on, and it was really starting to irritate me. It hasn't really happened since, until today. I was at a stop sign, in 2nd, then when I threw it in first (when I was stopped), it died on me when I had the clutch in. My friend was all "..Uh, what happened?" and I was "..Hrmm.. I dunno, I think somethings wrong with my car man.".

I've been wondering, maybe its the timing belt? Because my car has 108k miles on it( I got a 01 Civic LX), and I don't really know what maintance has been done to it. And i've heard that Civics need new timing belts sometimes, and thats mainly their only issue sometimes.

Can anyone help? I don't want this to keep happening, because when it died when I was going around a corner throwing it into second, the power steering was off too, and I was like "Oh sh*t.." and had to quickly start it back up.. But, please let me know what it could be, and i'll look into some stuff and do some research.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Car dying issue.

When you start the car, does your Check Engine Light (CEL) in the gauge assembly turn ON for a few seconds and then turn OFF, or does it remain On while your are driving?

The latter would indicate that the car's computer has stored a code that may help to identify a specific faulty component.

If the light does not remain ON, then some of the many possible causes would include problems with fuel pressure (e.g., filter or pump), ignition (e.g., timing or spark plugs), and idle speed. Lastly, in some rare cases, a faulty brake light pedal switch can cause stall problems because the switch sends signals to the car's computer to regulate engine speed.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:48 PM
HCF Member

could be a few things, any cel?? how does ur clutch feel any slippage??

Old 11-13-2007, 10:51 AM
HCF Member

My clutch feels fine, I would shift fine and everything, but sometimes it would just die for no reason. Like, my CEL would come on right before, or when it dies, then dies.

And yes, RonJ. My CEL comes on when my car starts, then turns off a few seconds later.

I hope this information helps, my car hasn't been acting up lately, so.. I don't know, if it happens again i'll be sure to be -very- specific and try and describe it better.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:18 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Because sometimes the CEL turns ON just before the engine dies, you may want to take the car to AutoZone and ask them to use a scan tool to test whether any codes are stored in the car's computer (this is a free service). If codes are retrieved, post them in your thread to receive additional feedback.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:36 AM
HCF Member

Yeah, now that I think about it.. The CEL did turn on usually before it died, it did for a second then usually would die, now that I remember. But, why would this happen? I mean, whats wrong..? I just find it odd, for no reason that this would start happening, and that some days it would be fine, and other days i'd have trouble?

But i'll take it to AutoZone tommorow and ask 'em about it, and see whats going on and respond when I can with information.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:47 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: RonJ

Because sometimes the CEL turns ON just before the engine dies, you may want to take the car to AutoZone and ask them to use a scan tool to test whether any codes are stored in the car's computer (this is a free service). If codes are retrieved, post them in your thread to receive additional feedback.
+1

Old 11-14-2007, 01:36 AM
HCF Member

how's your idle? normal? ... if this problem only occers when the car is hot..... then i'd look into replacing the IAC (idle air control valve).. it is loceted on the back of the intake manifold.... you may even be able to take yours apart and clean it out.
... any other issues with the car? drivability wise....

Old 11-14-2007, 06:26 PM
HCF Member

I don't know because I own a 2000 civic Si and I will be getting the same symptoms exactly like VILEX stated. Every now and then it hasn't happen lately to me

Old 11-15-2007, 08:19 AM
HCF Member

Yeah.. It hasn't happened for a week, but.. Its very random, and when it does it. It does it kinda bad. I went to Advanced Auto Parts last night, they called some places, and they said it more or less is the Idle Air Control Valve/Motor, they said its about a $230 peice. But they also recommended me to by some oil based lubricant, or Seafoam to put in my gas/intake and it would help clean it out, they say it might be clogged or something, or it could need replacing. They recommended me to do that, and if it happens again, go have a diagnostic test done at Honda dealer, or have them check stuff out.

Jetspeed333- It doesn't happen when its hot. It just... Happens, very randomly. My car hasn't been overheating, or anything from what I know of.

Hopefully this helps, and someone can help shed some light on everything :P.

Quick Reply: Car dying issue.