Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

car pulls when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 01:44 PM
Default car pulls when accelerating

Hello everybody, I'm new to this forum. I just bought a 04 civic ex sedan off of ebay. I like the car so far, it needs some cosmetic things on the inside, but my number 1 concern is the car pulls to the left when I'm accellerating. As soon as I stop giving it gas, it seems to straighten out, but when gassing it, it definately heads left.

Is this a sign of a major problem? Any ideas? I"ll have to take it to a dealer, I'm just trying to figure what it might be.

THanks

Old 05-08-2005, 01:48 PM
Default RE: car pulls when accelerating

Sounds like your alignment is really forked up. It could have been in an accident and then well covered up.

Old 05-08-2005, 01:50 PM

It WAS in an accident. I saw the police report and talked to hte guy about it. They replaced the bumper and hood. I was told it wasn't major enough to do any serious damage. If it's just the alignment wouldn't it drift all the time? This is only when i'm giving it gas. I'm thinking something serious is wrong.

crap

Old 05-08-2005, 01:53 PM

Well, almost all cars will develop some amount of torque steer when they are involved in front-end accidents, so I would have the alignment checked and done anyway, just in case. It could also be a bent strut, bowed axle, twisted steering knuckle, or a whole lot of other things along the driveline. But start with the alignment.

Old 05-08-2005, 02:12 PM
HCF Member

i was going to point out "torque pull" as mine pulls right, any way kappa's right . def start w/ alignment. and maybe an axle service to check bearings and races, break pads and trans service if you just got the car, are all good practices.
ORIGINAL: Kappa22

Well, almost all cars will develop some amount of torque steer when they are involved in front-end accidents, so I would have the alignment checked and done anyway, just in case. It could also be a bent strut, bowed axle, twisted steering knuckle, or a whole lot of other things along the driveline. But start with the alignment.