Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

car shaking when stopping!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 09:31 PM
HCF Member
Default car shaking when stopping!!

okay my friends car vibrates like crazy whenever he stops at a light. The passenger front seat can be seen vibrating, his water in the cup holder shakes and the steering wheel vibrates too!
its a year 91 though. thanks

Old 10-12-2007, 10:13 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: car shaking when stopping!!

sounds like warped rotors.....

Old 10-12-2007, 10:51 PM
HCF Member

i forgot to say that while driving itsokay, of course the ride isnt as smooth as a new car, the car is pretty old, but well maintained. Only when stopping at a light or leaving car on park with the engine on, does it shake. Thanks

Old 10-13-2007, 01:15 AM
HCF Member

well the stopping i would say is a warped rotor for sure, but then u mention if it is in park then it shakes as well. i have no clue about this one, so dont take the advice to strong, but maybe a motor mount?

Old 10-13-2007, 05:12 AM
HCF Member

I would think motor mounts would have it shaking all the time, on and off.

My first thought was warped rotor, I had a similar probley on my 00 dodge, peice of crap it was.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:01 AM
HCF Member

sorry i didnt make it more clear, only AFTER it comes to a full stop, then it shakes, not while braking. I mean this is pretty serious, I was itting in the back seat and the passenger seat was vibrating!! the water in his cupholder were ******* around like a jurassic park movie.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:05 AM
June 2010 ROTM

check your motor mounts! I bet one is almost completely gone.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:18 AM
HCF Member

yeah in that case motor mounts do sound like a likely cause. Sorry, you guys were right :-)

Mine shakes pretty bad too, I need to buy the inserts, I just don't have time to mess with them right now, ha ha.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:55 AM
June 2010 ROTM

whoa whoa, you need to replace the mounts before you put inserts in!! And, if you put mount inserts your car will vibrate more than normal. Reason being, when you reduce the motor's vibration, that vibration has to transfered somewhere, and that somewhere is your car. You only feel it at idle though. I have ES inserts and replaced my bad mounts before I put them in.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:22 AM
HCF Member

hey my friend said he just replaced 2 of the mounts last year and just replaced 2 more last two weeks. but it still vibrates though its still somewhat better compared to when he didnt replace the mounts but its still very noticeable. crappy mechanic or any other problem?

Quick Reply: car shaking when stopping!!