Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car shuts off after warm up

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 05:09 PM
Default car shuts off after warm up

I hope someone can tell me if they have encountered a 95 civic , computer shutting down after 15 minutes of engine when warming up, the engine is running beatifuly and bam complete shut down ive checked the wiring replaced both temp sender and sensor , the one thing I cant find in the shop manual is if the red white wire should have any voltage at all with key in off,every time i check the ecm I get the code 6 hoping someone can tell me something different before I have to fork out the cash for a new ecm or a used one oh yeah ive made certain there are no bubbles left in coolant for a false reading and the thermastat is replaced as well.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:18 PM

oh yeah almost forgot if I let the engine cool for awhile it will start again and runs smooth but wont get hot enought for the fan to come on , and whats really agravating is it will run in proportion to the time its spent cooling off , in other words the longer it cools down the longer it will run , till it hits whatever temp is telling the comp to shut down.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Right after the engine stalls and won't start, listen for whether the fuel pump primes for 2 seconds when the key is turned to ON(II) and also check for spark at the plugs.

Any CEL codes?

Old 05-20-2010, 05:09 AM
Default yep it primed

yes the fuel pump is priming, i thought of that too but why would that cause a code 6 to pop up in the comp. it sure seemed like it was running out of cause at first but then i realized it wasnt sputtering out it was just plain old shutting off. i changed out the fuel filter when it very first started to do this i am totally stumped at this point. i will however check the plugs after i am off work today, its strange though after cooling down it starts again . but only for a bit

Old 05-20-2010, 05:24 AM
Chubby Chaser

when it dies check the coil for spark, or it could be the main fuel relay, but sounds like a coil to me

Old 05-20-2010, 05:25 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Check for sparks when it is hot like Ron said. Very commonly it's the ICM that quits and kills the engine. The pump priming shows that the ECU is basically working.

If you unplug the ECT sensor you will get a code 6, but also the ECU will not know how hot the engine is. So it should continue to run if the problem really is related to that. Are you dealing with the right sensor? The one that drives the ECU is located below the distributor toward the front side of the engine-- it has two wires.

Also check the ECU ground wires on the thermostat housing, weird stuff will happen if they are loose.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:47 PM

I checked the icm once when all this started but Murphys law ill check it again I didnt know about the fuel pump trick being an indicator of ecu operation and will definetly file that one away for future use. I ve had the icm go out once before and there were similar symptons but eventually it just died and learned the hard way after a year of research well that and work as to what was wrong. you guys are an awsome resource and ill be sure to keep you guys up to date Thank you .

Old 05-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by gatesksm
I checked the icm once when all this started but Murphys law ill check it again I didnt know about the fuel pump trick being an indicator of ecu operation and will definetly file that one away for future use. I ve had the icm go out once before and there were similar symptons but eventually it just died and learned the hard way after a year of research well that and work as to what was wrong. you guys are an awsome resource and ill be sure to keep you guys up to date Thank you .

You NEED to check for spark. You don't want to make random guesses about what is wrong. Do the test.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:27 PM

Ok I believe I got , it was the ICM , I think my ohmeter may be bad its digital, took the icm to autozone they threw it on a tester and it failed , just goes to show usually your first guess is the most likely thank you for the tips .

Old 06-02-2010, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by gatesksm
Ok I believe I got , it was the ICM , I think my ohmeter may be bad its digital, took the icm to autozone they threw it on a tester and it failed , just goes to show usually your first guess is the most likely thank you for the tips .
In my case my coil went bad first (which i did not know) and then my ICM fried. Have you checked your coil?

Quick Reply: car shuts off after warm up