Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't start, distributor looks fine

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 09:15 AM
Default Car won't start, distributor looks fine

My car won't start, engine cranks, butit still won'tturnover. It's doing the same thing when my distributor went out. I replacled my distributor 6 months ago.[/align][/align]Starter is fine[/align]Checked and I'm getting a spark[/align]Checked all my fuses[/align]Replaced my spark plug wires (they were old)[/align]Check the spark plugs[/align]I'm getting Fuel[/align]The Battery is good[/align][/align][/align]Some one told me it might be the Ignition module[/align][/align]I just want to make sure before I start shelling out some cash for something I don't need[/align][/align]*before replacing the wires, I tested for a spark and I took out the fist wire located by driver side, it almost seemed to want to start. But when I put it back it just did the same old thing and wouldn't turn over, I found this a little weird*[/align][/align]Any suggestions?[/align][/align]

Old 05-15-2007, 09:44 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Car won't start, distributor looks fine

How did you check for fuel?

If you're not getting any spark it could very well be the ignition coil. Did you replace the entire dizzy last time?

Old 05-15-2007, 10:41 AM

You can smell the fuel after I tired a few times to get it started. I got spark and I replaced the entire distributor.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:38 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

So you DO have spark?

I would try to crank it, then pull your "F/I Return" line off to see if there is fuel in it. It's located behind/under the fuel rail towards the drivers side. That, imo, is the best way to check for fuel without buying a fuel pressure guage.

Have you tried jumping the car? At one point I thought that I wasn't getting spark, but it turned out that it was just a really weak spark. Jumped it with the wife's car and she fired right up.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:03 PM

I did try jump starting the car and it didn't work. I'm getting an error code P0113 with is intake air temperature sensor. Going to replace it see if that works

Old 05-20-2007, 12:56 PM

Can error code P0113 stop the car from starting? Also can you clean the intake air temperature sensor or does it have to be replaced?

Old 05-25-2007, 03:45 PM

You can try cleaning the iat sensor by spraying it with some throttle body cleaner. That should not stop your car from running though, it would just turn on the MIL. Go back over what you've done, because it's most likely the fuel or spark, the only other thing it would be is compression. Fuel + Spark + Compression = a firing cylinder, even if the engine isn't running properly. Since it was running before and now won't start at all it has to be a cause effecting all the cylinders equally, that rules out an individual wire, plug or injector, as the car would run but with a misfire. Had you touched anything under the hood since the car was last running? Just because you smell fuel doesn't mean it has the right pressure to be running, it's hard to say without a pressure gauge.

Anyways, double check that you are getting a good spark, from the plug wires, not just the coil. Take the cap off and inspect the rotor to be sure it is spinning. Also, check the fuel pressure regulator, check that the vaccuum line coming off of it is not pinched, split or damaged. Try starting with the vaccuum to the regulator disconnected just to see if anything happens.

Also, when you're cranking the engine, does it sound like it always does? Like the uneven whir that every car makes, or does it sound like an even whine? If it sounds too even then it's possible you're not getting compression, and the likely cause would be a timing belt failure.

Again, look for causes that would effect all the cylinders, not just one, as the engine died, not misfiring so it's a common problem for all four cylinders.