Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Check Engine Light Just came on

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 02:46 PM
HCF Member
Default Check Engine Light Just came on

98 dx with 77k, and a yellowish/orange light just came up that says check. Car seems to run fine, so is this a problem and how can i get this light to go away? I need a NY inspection, so idt that light can be up. Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:54 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Pull the code from the ECU as detailed at the CEL link in my signature. Then clear the code from the ECU to see whether the code repeats. Codes that repeat should be troubleshooted and fixed.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:16 PM
HCF Member

I counted 6 longer flashes, 5 short flashes= code 65=

Secondary oxygen sensor heater wire (black wires)

Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks

Old 03-21-2009, 07:32 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Many people would just try replacing the secondary O2 sensor and hope for a fix. The risk, however, is that there is instead a problem with the sensor wiring or even the ECU. Here's how to troubleshoot the problem in way that will avoid replacing parts unnecessarily.

Name:  picture_2187.jpg
Views: 4874
Size:  115.9 KB

Name:  picture_2185.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  111.7 KB

Name:  picture_2186.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  101.8 KB

Old 03-21-2009, 08:54 AM
HCF Member
Default nm

Is it still safe to drive the car? Where can u find a secondary o2 sensor? Does the computer thing at autozone tell you the same thing?

How do you fix the sensor wiring? Whats the ECU?

I'm not good with cars so idk much

Old 03-21-2009, 09:17 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by firecatf7333
Is it still safe to drive the car? Where can u find a secondary o2 sensor? Does the computer thing at autozone tell you the same thing? How do you fix the sensor wiring? Whats the ECU?
The car is safe to drive. The sole function of the secondary O2 sensor is to monitor exhaust emissions/pollutants. In this case, the scan tool used at AutoZone won't provide any additional information. A new secondary O2 sensor can be purchased from your local auto parts store, the Honda dealer ($$), or from online vendors.

If the sensor wiring is damaged, there are ways to cut and resplice bad sections of wire.

The ECU is the car's computer, which is located behind the front passenger kick panel below the right side of the glove box.

You'll need a digital multimeter ($15-20) to perform the electrical tests in the diagram. My guess would be that the first few electrical tests in the diagram will reveal a bad O2 sensor, but you won't know for sure until you actually do the tests.

Last edited by RonJ; 03-21-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:02 PM
HCF Member

Would the secondary o2 sensor have anything to do with a low idle. I noticed my car had a low idle today, and actually stalled once. It's never done this, and the light just came on, so i think the light has something to do with the low idle.

I only noticed the low idle during the day when it was warm out, at night i drove home and the car was fine and the temps were cooler. I'll see if it idles low tomarow again in the day.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by firecatf7333
Would the secondary o2 sensor have anything to do with a low idle. I noticed my car had a low idle today, and actually stalled once. It's never done this, and the light just came on, so i think the light has something to do with the low idle.
No, they are unrelated. What light came on?

Old 03-21-2009, 09:51 PM
HCF Member
Default nm

the Light that came on was the check engine light, 2 days ago. I did the test and it came back 65. I'm going to take it too Autozone and plug it in there system tomorrow, see what it reads back.

Do you think the low idle has anything to do with the check engine light coming on, i mean the low idle came the day after the light came on, but as i said it idled fine when it was colder out at night. Idk what the problem is or where to start.

OOh- i also unplugged the 7.5 fuse today for 10 seconds, and the check engine light turned off for about 1 min but then it turned back on. Advanced auto parts should be able to plug it in and say exactly what the problem is, right?

Last edited by firecatf7333; 03-21-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Recognized HCF Member

It certainly won't hurt to have an auto parts store pull the CEL code with an OBDII scan tool, though theoretically they should only come up with P0141, which is equivalent to code 65. Again, code 65 is unrelated to any low idle problem. For that, try cleaning the IACV on the throttle body.

The auto parts store will suggest that you replace the secondary O2 sensor and will not consider a potential problem with the wiring or ECU. That's why it's best that you do the electrical troubleshooting in the diagram.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light Just came on