Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Check Engine light just went on, Slight harder Idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Default Check Engine light just went on, Slight harder Idle

I tried to look around a bit to see if I could find the answer. do not see it as of yet. I am a woman, and am worried about greedy mechanics.Not that guys can't be taken, but alot of mechanics,,well some..see a woman and think $$$. So any help or direction would be nice. Father was a mechanic so I know a little, but use laymans terms!

Question, then quick history..

**Problem** check engine light went on a few days ago, about 10 minutes after the light went on I noticed that slowing down and getting into 2nd and first gears the car was idling a little rougher for about a minute..then normal.
This now happens at every stop or low speed.

Q. Could this just be a fault spark plug..or an O2 sensor? Do O2 sensors cost a lot to replace? See history below.

Recent history:

1997 Honda Civic LX (106K, mostly City miles, although only 40K put on in 9years)

-January had factory default fixed, which was a cracked manifold
-SRS light was on, they checked the codes, no code. reset it
-Honda did a free maintenance changing oil, spark plugs and wires
- checked my gas cap
-checked for and visual damage under the hood
-car not stalling at this point
-not over heating

Old 06-23-2009, 01:50 PM
Recognized HCF Member

It's a crime how some mechanics treat women.

Click the CEL link in my signature. It tells you how to pull the CEL code from the ECU using a short piece of wire or paperclip. Alternatively, many auto parts stores will pull the code with a scan tool as a free service. Post your CEL codes to get more feedback.

By the way, this problem is probably covered by the Honda extended emissions warranty (150K, 15 years) [law suit]. If you know you are covered, let Honda deal with this issue. If you are not sure, call Honda. Have your VIN ready.

Last edited by RonJ; 06-23-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:17 PM

I completely agree with your advice. I will first get the car code read independently.

Today I already called the honda dealership that did the work and asked for a detailed list of all parts fixed and installed.

I however did not see that the O2 sensor had been replaced. Just that the car had been fixed "to extended warranty" satisfaction. This dealership was very professional so I am sure I have a valid complaint if necessary.

I am starting to feel from reading through more posts that this has to be related to the sensor or atleast something that was replaced on my car when at the dealership. Or something not replaced that was covered!

I have never had a problem with this area of my car. My manifold was cracked for some time and i had no clue and drove my car for at least a year + with the cracked manifold.

So for my car's engine light to come on 4 months later. That's a little su****ious to me.

Last question.. Does anyone know where I can find and PRINT OUT the extended warranty?

ps.. I have been aware of the extended warranty for some time! So I am just preparing myself for a fight with Honda if needed.

Thanks guys and gals! so helpful
Thanks Ron

Last edited by crashbang; 06-23-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I think Honda is pretty good about the extended emissions warranty. I don't foresee any problems for you. When the CEL is ON, they basically cover everything.

There's no need to speculate about what's currently wrong with your Civic. Just pull the CEL codes and post them here. Don't clear the ECU, however, as you want Honda to see them when you take your car in for service.