Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Check Engine Light/Oil In Cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 08:16 PM
Default Check Engine Light/Oil In Cylinders

Ok,

I just bought a 2000 Civic LX with a few mods (body kit, AEM intake, short shift kit, carbon fiber hood and a few other things). As far as I can tell it has a 1.6L SOHC engine installed. I haven't looked for the engine code yet. Anyhow, I took the thing to Autozone to get the check engine light codes scanned. Turns out that all of the codes were related to a couple cylinders mis-firing. So we started out by replacing the plugs and re-setting the light (dis-connected - Batt lead for a few minutes). While replacing the plugs I noticed a couple of them had oil on the insulator and on the electrodes. My limited knowledge tells me that the oil in the cylinder is either due to worn rings or maybe valve guides?

Also while replacing one of the plugs it was found to be loose (not torqued), and one of the wires came apart at the plug end while dis-connecting. One of the wires also seems to keep falling off the cap. I am heading back to auto-zone tomorrow to purchase a new cap, rotor, and wires.

Any ideas on how to diagnose the oil problem without tearing down the engine? Also, any other ideas on the cylinder mis-firing other than what I have mentioned?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Old 01-16-2005, 09:09 PM
Default RE: Check Engine Light/Oil In Cylinders

Here is a link to the car from the guy I bought it from if anyone is interested:

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/vi...r_id=173624037

Also, I ordered some new 17" wheels and low-profiles (unfortunately I couldn't afford to go any bigger).