Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Civic died help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Default Civic died help!!!!

ok so i am currently driving my cousins 1994 honda civic (117k miles) because im lookin for a car and hes in school.....anyways this morning barely got out my neighbor and it died, it felt like it just ran out of gas. gauge was low and im not used to it so i thought i ran out of gas. ran back to my house found some and put some in. after continuous cranking car still didnt start. grabbed some tools pulled a plug dried it put it back in then pulled to see if it was wet and it was. SO ITS GETTTING FUEL. i went to attempt to check for spark but i didnt have anyone to help me so i coulndt really see thru the windshiled if it was sparking or not. THE CAR HAS BRAND NEW PLUG WIRES, im not sure what else, maybe plugs to. it had an electric overall recently i think....idk much about it, its not mine. PLEASE HELP ME!!! its gotta be electrical. i checked the fuses there good. car has never had problems!

Old 12-01-2011, 11:42 AM
HCF Member

It could also be the timing if I am not mistaken. Too much fuel could also be an issue.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:38 PM

Any Check Engine Lights?

It may seem simple, but check to see if the timing belt is still intact. Random and doubtful that is the problem, but worth a guess.

You say new plugs and wires? What about the distributor cap and rotor? That could be a reason for poor or no spark.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:53 PM

Sounds like something with the ignition system if it's cranking over and getting fuel but not firing.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:04 PM

ya no Check engine light, its gotta be simple. turns over fine.....and ya im not sure what else was replaced besides plugs and wires. and not sure about distributor cap and rotor. ill look into it. idk about timing ill look into that tho too. Started right up this morning great, than about a quarter mile down road it jus died. When ignition systems fail, do they fail just like that??? thanks

Old 12-01-2011, 01:54 PM

Yes. From my experience with electricity, it either works, or stumbles and dies quickly. Definitely check the dist cap and rotor.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
Yes. From my experience with electricity, it either works, or stumbles and dies quickly. Definitely check the dist cap and rotor.
ok thanks man i will.....whats the easiest way to check that? i dont know much about cars, i only work on dirt bikes and quads, there super simple lol. hate tinkering with cars. ive never diagnosed spark on a car before...thanks

Old 12-01-2011, 02:28 PM

UPDATE----absolutely zero spark! checked in pitch black, there is nothing. checked 2 cylinders just to make sure. so has fuel and no spark. plug wires are new. ill look into cap and rotor

Old 12-01-2011, 02:35 PM
gwl
HCF Member

You should ask your friend about the car. It seems that there was an earlier problem since the spark plug wires are new. I would check the connections around distributor since it died suddenly. Also, does it sound normal when you crank the starter?

Old 12-01-2011, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by gwl
You should ask your friend about the car. It seems that there was an earlier problem since the spark plug wires are new. I would check the connections around distributor since it died suddenly. Also, does it sound normal when you crank the starter?
ya i did ask him but he doesnt know anything about cars or motors, he said he is unaware of any maintanence with the electric. hes only had the car a little over a year, so previous owner could have did it. but you can def make out that plug wires are new, as well as some of the wires running to the fuse box...seems a little sketchy, i see what u mean. And it sounds fine when you turn it over. thanks

Quick Reply: Civic died help!!!!