Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Civic falls flat on its face now

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Default Civic falls flat on its face now

If I'm driving down the street say going like 35 or so my car will fall flat on it's face for a second. It's weird,it will go a while then start jerking really hard. Under acceleration it seems to do ok though. Any suggestions?

Old 02-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Civic falls flat on its face now

Clogged fuel filter? Engine timing out of spec? Old/dirty spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor?

Old 02-15-2008, 09:17 PM

I replaced the plugs and wires and it still misses spuratically. I ordered a complete distributor off of ebay for a 16 valve 1.5 non vtech engine. I put it on my car and it wouldn't even start. The little cam gear on the end of the distributor was installed 180 off. I changed it and it started, but had no power or throttle response at all. I believe that number on the dist was like a tdu41 or something. Does that sound right? I sent it back and had them send me another one, so now I'm waiting. I put the old one on and it runs fine except when it misses. Has anyone else had trouble getting a dist? I got it from precisiondistributors off of ebay. I'm worried they are going to send me another one that does the same thing.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:04 AM

Your timing is probably off...

Old 02-16-2008, 08:01 AM

Its your timing bro. Get the hell off of Ebay and run down to your local parts store, i.e Checker/Schucks/Kragen, Autonzone, Napa, etc.... and buy a new cap and rotor, grab a timing light and get to work. Im sure there are at least a few write-ups here explaining ignition timing. How many miles are on the vehicle? Consider replacing plugs while you're at it. Do NOT use Bosch!

Old 02-17-2008, 06:50 AM

It seems like it's the timing but it won't twist forward enough. They are sending me another one so we will see what happens with it i guess. I did do new plugs and wires, but I believe I used bosch..... What's wrong with them and what kind should I get that are reasonable?

Old 02-17-2008, 07:36 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: trent179
It seems like it's the timing but it won't twist forward enough...
Your timing belt may be off by one tooth.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:48 PM

Im positive the timing belt is right. I have checked my marks a couple times. I even took it apart twice to go one tooth forward and one tooth back of where it should be. It runs like crap if it's not right. They sent me another complete distributor assembly. This one worked, but it still didn't solve my problem. So now I can eliminate distributor assemb, plugs, and wires. It still just feels like it dies for a second then takes off and runs fine again. This normaly happens when I am driving at a steady speed at low rpm. I seems to do fine under acceleration. Should I just give up! lol

Old 02-20-2008, 12:57 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Are you able now to set the timing to specification?

How do the cap and rotor look?

Have you checked the fuel pressure?

Old 02-20-2008, 01:12 PM

I didn't think about fuel pressure.... Seems like if that was the prob it would do it when I was puting it to the floor and the engine was really under a load. The ignition timing is set now. Cap and rotor are new.

Quick Reply: Civic falls flat on its face now