Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

civic periodicly stumbles

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 07:07 PM
Angry

Not so fast kid.My civic "stumbled" tonight on our way into town.Been about 100 miles since the crank sensor was installed,ran perfectly until tonight and then,it's like the engine hiccups and then runs fine again.Really thought we had it.Don't quite know what to do now.Leaning back toward the used distributor I installed.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:46 AM

Well ****. Keep us posted.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Cool Update

Hey Kid,thought I'd give you an update.Drove the civic to work Monday,Tuesday and Wednesday.30 miles one way to work.It died on me twice each day,once on the way,once on the way back.Had to sit on the side of the road for a couple of minutes,start it again and away I went.Put another distributor in last night and it did not act up on the way to work...we'll see what the drive home brings.As with every fix I've tried,they all seemed to be the answer for awhile,then suddenly it would hiccup or completely die on me again so,I,m not holding my breath on this new(used again)distributor either.One thing is for sure.If the problem reappears,it is definetely not the distributor as it's very unlikely 3 of them would be bad.I'll let you know how the rest of the week goes.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the update. I'll be watching for the results!

Old 11-12-2009, 05:13 AM
Angry Another update

Installed the new(used)distributor last Wednesday (11/4) evening.Car ran great Thursday,Friday and Saturday.Sunday it hiccuped so subtly that i was not certain it had.Ran great the rest of Sunday,Monday and Tuesday.Wednesday(11/11) it hiccuped again very subtly on my way to work but,I was certain that it did this time as I saw the cel flash very briefly.On the way home it died.While still rolling,I turned the ignition off,then turned it back on,not engaging the starter and popped the clutch.It sarted back up,the cel went off and I drove it directly to the shop where it sits as I type.Does anyone have a source for dynamite?

Old 11-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Default wait and it starts

I have a similar problem (98-lx), if I drive for 10-20 miles and turn the car off, I have to wait for 10-15 min before it will start.......that's if I try to start it right away. It cranks but no fire......it's like something is overheating and needs to cool down for 10 min. before it starts.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Chubby Chaser

a coil..........

Old 11-18-2009, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback
a coil..........
Thanks.....I'll get one this week, I'll let you know.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:53 PM

Oddly enough my car has not acted up in about a month. It has taken the fun out of driving it though. Keep the reports coming.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:04 PM
Angry 11/21 Update

My mechanic let me take his Mac code scanner to work with me over the weekend.My civic had quit on the way to pick up the scanner Saturday afternoon and had been quitting at least once daily so, I was confident that it would quit while hooked up to the scanner.I would get 3 opportunities to hopefully get one of these "quit" episodes on the scanner before I would have to return the scanner.By opportunity I mean letting the car sit several hours...a cold start.1st opportunity was Saturday evening so,with Mac diagnostic scanner on my wife's lap,we took the long way to town hoping to record an episode on the scanner....nothing.Oh well,I thought,sitting all night,it will quit on the way to work in the morning.Again however, the car ran perfectly.My last opportunity would be after sitting 8 hours at work...again the car ran flawlessly. I then drove it back to the shop,where I had to return the scanner.Going to borrow it again over Thanksgiving weekend.We will get to the bottom of this one way or another but,I am beginning to wonder...wtf.

Quick Reply: civic periodicly stumbles