Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

civic's trans will not engage

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 01:40 PM
HCF Member
Unhappy civic's trans will not engage

I own a civic 02 lx automatic, and 4 days ago i was waitting for a green light and when i gave it some gas the revs would go up but the car would not go forward. I got no warning light, no weird noise, nothing bad to let me know that something was about to happen.

I dont race my car. I bought cuz i needed a comuter to get to work. The engine runs just fine, everything works just fine, even when i put "R" the car's trans works and i can back up just fine. But if i want to put "D" the car would just rev up and would not move.

I towed it to a body shop (within 3 miles) and they said that they can check it out for $44 (half hour) to see what the problem, or charge me $86 (1 hour) if they needed to use computers to give me a diagnostic. After the "diagnostic", the guy told me that the trans would not engage and that they "recomend" a new tranny. WTF!!?? I payed them to tell me what was wrong, not to tell me something that is obvious and to recomend...

Some advice fellas? i need a car to work and im desperate..

Old 07-31-2008, 01:53 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Is the AT fluid level low?

If you paid for a diagnostic, they should have a print out telling you precisely what was found. For example, did they retrieve any transmission trouble codes?

Old 07-31-2008, 02:35 PM
Recognized HCF Member

dito. check fluid level first and make sure any electrical conectors on the tranny are securely pluged in.
other than that you might have bought a car with a weak tranny from a previous owner racing the car or doing a few nuetral drops and they sold the car ASAP when the first problem showed up!

Old 08-01-2008, 05:03 PM
HCF Member

I bought the car new. All fluids were checked and they were fine. No leaks. they said that they recomend a new transmition. No codes at all. All was in writing. Guy told me that they "saved" me money by not using a computer to look further.

Again, i can put the car into "R" and it would work fine. If i go ahead and put "D" to drive the car would not move.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:21 PM
HCF Member

does it work if you put it into the other D settings like D1 or D2? I don't have a civic automatic but my old accord and my windstar have alternate drive settings that keep the car from going out of 1st or 2nd gear

Old 08-02-2008, 05:49 PM
HCF Member

Well its obvious you do need a new tranny. One of the clutches or brakes related to 1st gear has most likely gone out. Auto mechanic arent magicians, something like that is an internal failure in the trans and needs to be torn down to determine exactly what is wrong. All in all thats going to cost you more than just having a remanufactured or used trans put in your car.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:38 PM
HCF Member

Well i have solve my problem. I bought an 08 SI fully loaded. Im Thrilled as hell.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:43 PM
HCF Member

Pics available upon request

Old 08-04-2008, 08:58 PM

i know you got a new one, but about the old one, wasn't there a recall for that?

Old 08-05-2008, 11:10 AM
HCF Member

A recall for the 02 LX civic? i didnt know about that??? i guess im going to donate it...

Quick Reply: civic's trans will not engage