Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Clutch wearing out?

Old 06-20-2008, 08:19 AM
HCF Member
Default Clutch wearing out?

Hey I have a 97 civic si D16Y8SOHC VTEC and i've noticed sometimes when i let out the clutch the engine revs a bit before catching and speeding up, it doesnt always happen and it just started but i'm thinking its a sign that the clutch is going, I'm new to driving standard and was probably to hard on it... but yeah i was wondering what kind of parts should i be looking at, oem or aftermarket stage 1 or 2? also what kind of labour costs i'd work on it myself but I will need it done quickly, also should i have my flywheel resurfaced while i'm at it? any help would be appreciate, also how long do you think i have before it really needs to be done because i'm low on cash...

Thanks

Old 06-20-2008, 08:29 AM
Default RE: Clutch wearing out?

That happens when you give it too much gas before you have engaged the clutch. That's normal for someone who just started driving a manual.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:02 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The "feel" of the clutch pedal may change when the clutch is about worn out. If you can barely touch the pedal and it disengages, it is about gone. Also the clutch will start to slip noticeably when at highway speed as you press the gas beyond a certain point (such as passing someone or climbing hills). The rpm will go up but the car doesn't go faster. Immediately let off the gas when that happens or you will burn up what's left of the clutch in no time. Another sign is a smell like overheated brakes from under the hood due to the clutch slipping, though this can also happen with a good clutch but not driving properly.

Labor cost is of course zero if you do it yourself, you will need a fairly complete set of tools and it will take most of a day if you've never done it before. There will be a lot less stress if you can take a break and borrow a car to drive in case the replacement doesn't go smoothly.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:11 AM
HCF Member

I agree with trustdestruction
how long have you been driving this?
or have you just started?

Old 06-20-2008, 05:12 PM
HCF Member

i did my clutch myself. first time doing it, it cost me 210 bucks thru advanced for the clutch and flywheel. i have no clue what kind they are all i know is they are low performance. but anywho it took me 5 1/2 hours to put the whole thing back together. fairly easy job imo. but hey, thats just me and i love working on cars so...