Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Start Idle Hi Long Time

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Default Cold Start Idle Hi Long Time

2006 Honda Civic Coupe LX 1.8 ltr AT (non Hybird)

ISSUE: When engine is stone cold & started at 80 degrees outside temp.
Problem: Hi idle of 1500 rpm takes 2 minutes to come down to 1000 rpm.

FACTS
1. Two minutes is much longer compared to all other cars owned & observed for hi idle time.
2. Dealer says no trouble codes & does not know how to fix. Miles are 14,000.
3. Owners Manuel does not provide specification for cold start hi idle.

4. HOW LONG SHOULD HI IDLE STAY @ 1500 RPM 80 DEGREES OUTSIDE TEMP PER HONDA SPECIFICATION? Honda dealer has been asked same question& does not know.

4.1 Opinions as to how long hi idle should stay @ 1500 are not requested. Just the facts of factory spec are requested. Thanks.

5. Only vague answer from Honda dealer shop foreman is: Computer determines idle. Duh! We knew that.

6. Did call two other Honda dealers prior to bringing car in for service at third Honda dealer. None of the "Service Consultants" at all 3 Honda dealers could provide a specification for high idle rpm and/or time to stay at high idle at a given outside temp. Only one Honda Dealer could quote the curb idle after warm up. (975 rpm) But my Civic sometimes curb idles at 800 rpm & runs fine at this rpm.

8. Reason for concern: Trans does not like being put in drive @ 1500 RPM & sometimes make metal noise.

9. Agreed that 1500 cold start rpm & curb idle 1000 rpm seem OK, but that is not the question or problem. Ehcees seeks a technical spec answer as to how long cold start idle should stay @ 1500 rpm @ 80 degrees outside temp? Can you answer that based on technical documentation?

10. Search for after market Service Manual reveals none available yet. Only Honda Service Manual can be bought for $75. If you know where I can download free PDF copy of 06 Civic Service Manual for LX & EX models, then please advise. Note that the seperate Simodel is covered bydifferent Supplement Service Manual & does not cover or apply to Civic LX & EX versions for 2006.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:03 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Start Idle Stays Hi too long

Are where did you read that was too long? It is not in my owners manual. Too long compared to what?

Old 07-21-2007, 12:13 AM
HCF Member

take it to a different dealer

Old 07-21-2007, 02:44 AM

To: Gene:
Too long for hi cold start idle 1500 rpm @ 80 degreesoutside temp, 2 minutesis based on all other cars comparison. Owners Manuel does not provide specfication for cold start hi idle. Honda dealer has been asked same question posted on fourm as to Honda spec time for high idle & no answer received. Only vauge answer from Honda dealer shop foreman is: Computer determines idle. Duh! We knew that. Issue is determining Honda spec for high idle & compare to actual Civic performance.

To: Marty:
Ehcees did call two other Honda dealers prior to bringing car in for service at third Honda dealer. None of the "Service Consultants" at all 3 Honda dealers could provide a specification for high idle rpmand/or time to stay at high idle at a given outside temp. Only one Honda Dealer could quote the curb idle after warm up. (975 rpm) But my Civic sometimes curb idles at 800 rpm & runs fine at this rpm.
Dealers will not let Customers speak with technician working on cars.Search forafter market Service Manual reveals none available yet. Only Honda Service Manual can be bought for $75. If you know where I can download free PDF copy of 06 Civic Service Manual for LX & EX models, then please advise. Note that the seperate Si Supplement Service Manual does not cover or apply to Civic LX & EX versions for 2006.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:05 AM
HCF Member

Honestly i don't see any issue... i figured b the tittle of the thread it was like 3000rpm's or something.. but 1500 then 1000 is perfectly fine IMO

Old 07-21-2007, 06:40 AM

To: Fiirkan
The issue is how long to stay at high idle 1500 rpm. Agreed that 1500 cold start rpm & curb idle 1000 rpm seem OK, but that is not the question or problem. Ehcees seeks a technical answer as to how long cold start idle should stay @ 1500 rpm @ 80 degrees outside temp? Can you answer that based on technical documentaion?

Old 07-21-2007, 07:29 AM
HCF Member

Honestly if it is staying at 1500rpm's for 2 minutes i still don't see an issue. Even with the temperature outside, it has to bring the temperature of the engine up to optimal operating temp, outside temp has nothing to do with it

Old 07-21-2007, 09:55 AM

mine stays for at least 5min before it drops no normal (.800)

Old 07-21-2007, 09:59 AM
HCF Member

Why do you believe that this is not normal? Mine does the same and I have never given it any thought.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:51 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Gene J

Why do you believe that this is not normal? Mine does the same and I have never given it any thought.
+1 every car i have ever owned has done it, every car i have ever been in has done it.. it is normal for it to do that

Quick Reply: Cold Start Idle Hi Long Time