Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

condensor fan fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 03:44 PM

Ok, checked the compressor clutch coil, it's reading 1.2 ohms. I don't remember where I saw that it's suppose to be 3 to 4 ohms, but if that's the case, then it's not even reading half of what it's suppose to be.....I assume that means it's letting too much through and thats why the fuse is popping.

I am thinking options:

A) Get a whole new compressor with clutch and coil...cost @$300+ (local shops are charging rape prices and shipping that here is going to cost)

B) Get just the coil, make it a cheap one for $40 and free shipping. It'll probably last for a while and I'll be in California where I can spend less and get more.

C) Clutch, bearing and coil at Napa for $160. But I think if I spend $160, I might as well go for the whole compressor.

D) Go for broke......splice in a 2.5 ohm resistor to the wire from the coil to the fuse to make it @3.7 ohms. Stupid idea? Asking for trouble?

Old 03-14-2010, 05:58 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Yeah, you should have the Sanden compressor. If you measured resistance when the temperature was near 68F, then the resistance is too low and you need to replace the field coil.

Name:  picture_4552.jpg
Views: 1881
Size:  57.8 KB

Old 03-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Recognized HCF Member

When you replace the whole compressor (which is also about a $300 part here in the 48 states as well), you will need to evacuate and recharge the refrigerant. Unless you have the vacuum pump, etc. to do that that means paying a shop to do it.

The coil can be replaced with the system still charged. Another option is try to find a used one, you might even find a seized compressor with its coil still good.

Your resistor idea won't work. The resistance is low because some of the turns of the coil are shorted out and no longer active. So with only the proper current (about 4 amps) flowing it won't have enough magnetic force to pull the clutch in.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:39 PM

Thanks for the continued help. I can get this at ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...item45ed31e3e9
I recognize that seller, they also sell outside of ebay, so I don't think it's the cheapo ebay compressors I have read so many bad things about. $285 with pretty much everything I need to do it right except the condensor....and then $50 shipping. I do that though and I'd feel like I might as well get a new condensor as well. I can probably find someone that knows someone that can evactuate my A/C and recharge it after. Might still cost me though. I think it will end up costing me about $500+ when I am all done. I am not sure I want to pay that much considering my ac system blows cold up to when the fuse pops.

Or I found this $48 + $20 shipping
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Compr...item4a9f3b4d93
I just don't like that it's a used coil, but considering you get a new bearing as well, not too bad.

Then Amazon and one other sell new coils for $83 at amazon and free shipping. Other place was like $63 new and $20 shipping.

Weighing my options, but I think I already talked myself out of getting a whole new compressor. I'll leave that to when the compressor actually fails....so long as the cost to fix what I got doesn't come too close to the cost of another compressor.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:49 PM
Recognized HCF Member

OEM field coil set (part 11) from Majestic Honda is $62 not including shipping:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...29&vinsrch=yes

Old 03-14-2010, 06:57 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Looks like a decent deal on that clutch set. The only part that routinely goes bad is the bearing; typically the coil will last the life of the car. So I wouldn't worry too much about a used one.

Ron that's interesting, last I looked you had to buy the coil, pulley and plate as a set from Honda and it cost about $100.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:19 PM

I ordered a window regulator from Majestic about 6 days ago, still waiting to see what's going on. Their shipping proceedure is kinda "grey" for Hawaii....kinda like they haven't really done it too much. Most places are very specific. Also their shipping price is way too low to be coming out of the east coast to hawaii. Good you say? No. Many times, I order stuff and weeks later I am told they can't ship at the quoted price and it's really just a waste of time for me. Especially since I am on a tight schedule with a move coming soon.

I found Majestic's clone

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/online/...ssor%20(Sanden)

and they are specific with shipping to Hawaii. They want $1 more on that part then Majestic and $27 to ship.

I went ahead and ordered the ebay clutch kit that includes the used bearing for $67 shipping included. I can live with throwing $67 out the window to make the A/C work till I actually need a new compressor.

I read the manual for pulling the clutch, they used a puller I don't have access to (I think). Any chance there is a shade tree mechanic way to pull the clutch off before I start trying to order the puller?

Old 03-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Sounds like you made a wise choice. Mk378 will surely have some good pointers on how to remove the compressor clutch without disconnecting any of the A/C lines. Enjoy the A/C when you have it fixed.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:33 AM
Recognized HCF Member

A generic 3-jaw gear puller of the proper size will pull the pulley. You'll also need snap ring pliers for the snap rings of course. Work on the compressor from underneath the car. You may need to unbolt it from the engine and lower it down some for better access to the pulley. This is possible while keeping the hoses attached.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:42 AM

I went ahead and ordered this for $15 shipping included. It's for GM "and various other pulleys..." . If it doesn't work, I'll just cut some metal to form and mill out the slots with a vertical mill at work. The hobby shop I use has a few pullers, but all are too bulky to use with the compressor in place.

Quick Reply: condensor fan fuse keeps blowing