Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Cooling system issue

Old 04-20-2018, 09:06 AM
Default Cooling system issue

First off I will apologize for my long post but I’m having some issues that I need assistance with. I have had the headgasket looked at and tested all came back perfect.

Firstly I did replace the radiator it was falling apart. But more issues came up afterwards, my fans weren’t coming on so I replaced the engine coolant temp sensor and replaced my radiator fan motor because it was bad. They worked! But then I noticed that after putting coolant in, that it was overfilling my reservoir. I thought it would change as I drove it since there was no coolant in the system until I put it in. But here recently it has tried to overheat and it’s actually pushing the excess from the overfilled radiator out everywhere. So I took it off emptied it to a normal level and it did great, but I still find myself having to put coolant in the radiator every 2 weeks which concerns me. There’s no coolant loss (except the reservoir incident) so my next step is to “burp” the system and hope that maybe it had air in it that had no way to escape? I don’t know I need some ideas

Old 07-02-2018, 05:17 AM

I had similar symptoms on my '02 Civic. The head was warped from overheating. The overfilled reservoir was caused by one or more combustion gas leaks into the coolant passages (around the head gasket). I had the head shaved. Reinstalled shaved head. Used OEM (Honda) parts. All leaks are now sealed. The engine now runs great with no more overheating! Mission accomplished! :-)

Last edited by Timothy1959; 08-12-2018 at 09:25 PM.