Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Couple issues, speedometer and engine cutting out

Old 05-23-2008, 06:56 AM
Default Couple issues, speedometer and engine cutting out

I just picked up a 95 civic EX with the VTEC in it for really cheap off a friend.

1st issue....speedometer constantly jumps around and will eventually settle at the speed you are doing.

2nd issue....the engine will cut out when under heavier acceleration. When you accelerate normally, it seems to be ok. This just happens when under load and its very abrupt. I know it needs a tune up due to the high mileage. I plan on doing plugs, wires, etc, but what else could cause this issue? It is not setting any codes either.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:05 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Couple issues, speedometer and engine cutting out

I think the speedometer itself is the likely problem because the VSS would normally throw a code. Might also be a bad wire between the VSS and speedometer, though I think this is less likely.

Regarding the engine problem, does cut mean the engine stalls? You might want to include a fuel filter replacement to the tune up list. Also carefully inspect the distributor cap and rotor for corrosion and wear, and check whether the ignition timing is set to spec.

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Civic/

Old 05-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Check the ground wires especially the little ones on the thermostat housing. A bad ground can cause both of those problems.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the quick replies. My tune up list includes the following, plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, oil/filter, oxegyn sensor, distributor cap, and rotor button. Im very thorough when i buy a used car. When i say cutting out, it doesnt stall, it just acts like there is a flat spot and when you let off and press the gas again it will go. I had this problem on a GM car and it was the throttle position sensor was bad and it caused a flat spot. Is this possible? I will probably just do my tune up and go from there if the problem isnt resolved. I will check the wires for the speedometer as well. Thanks again

Old 05-23-2008, 10:16 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Do you know how many miles the timing belt has on it? Be sure to check the ignition timing with a timing gun (see manual).

Old 05-23-2008, 11:10 AM

I dont know how many miles are on the timing belt. I will probably go ahead and replace it as well and then check the timing. Im pretty savy with cars, but im new to hondas. What else should i look at?

Old 05-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yeah, Civics of your generation have interference engines so if the timing belt slips substantially or breaks, you will likely have engine damage.

You might also check the drive belts and even consider draining and replacing the transmission, power steering, brake, and clutch fluids.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Start with your basic tune-up and timing belt change as planned. Hope that the hesitation resolves itself.

+1 on the drive belts and trans. fluid. You must put only genuine Honda PS fluid into the power steering. The brakes and clutch you can use generic brake fluid. The manual transmisison is specified to use 10W40 motor oil or Honda manual transmission fluid. Not 90W gear oil.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:45 PM

How hard is a timing belt to replace on these cars?

Old 05-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Answer depends on your level of expertise.

Read relevant sections of the service manual to get a sense of what you are up against. Getting the crankshaft pulley nut off and synchronizing the cam and crank at TDC are the hardest parts.

Info here may also be useful:

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/7-...t-96-00-a.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Couple issues, speedometer and engine cutting out