Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Cracked windsheild--fix or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 07:53 AM
HCF Member
Default Cracked windsheild--fix or replace?

They're resurfacing the one and only street that gets to my house and they left it torn up to just gravel for a few days. And it's a long, twisty road so it's sucked majorly with all the crud flying up and banging off your car.

Anyway, my windsheild got nailed by a piece of gravel, right on the driver's side. I'm planning on getting it to a window shop, but I thought I'd ask if anyone had BTDT here. The window appears to be cracked and chipped, but the damage is all internal. You can run your finger along the outside and there's really nothing to feel. Because of this I'm assuming repair isn't possible? Howver, there's a nice + right in front of my eyes [:@]. It's about an inch square.

In reading threads it looks like windsheilds are $150 or so? Is that for an aftermarket one? If so, what brands should I look into and what do I need to do to not have a leaky windsheild? I'm not installing it myself, of course, but I don't want the job to get botched.

Any advice welcome.

Old 10-07-2005, 08:37 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Cracked windsheild--fix or replace?

Only because i have a $100 deductible did my windshield cost that little when i had to replace it. Check with your insurance agency for details.

However, in your case it doesnt look like the glass has spidered, and this is good. Most glass shops will fix that for about 50-75 bucks and you'll never even know it was there. Good luck!

Old 10-07-2005, 02:58 PM
HCF Member

ya that dosent look too bad..but check with your insurance if your coverd, but thats a hassle if u want to go thro them, i would just get a new one

Old 10-07-2005, 03:25 PM
HCF Member

I have a $500 deductible on my insurance, and my mom's telling me to not file a claim.

I'm glad I don't have a Pilot. The radiators on those puppies gobble up rocks like you wouldn't believe!

Old 10-07-2005, 06:11 PM

I would just bite the bullet and pay. Even if you claim a small amount your insurance will go up ESPECIALLY if you are a young guy like me.

Jeff