Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Crankshaft problems....93 civic

Old 04-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Exclamation Crankshaft problems....93 civic

i have a 93 civic which has been swapped with a 96-00 D16Y8 with a z6 head. i blew out the number 3 piston and took it to my shop and the told me i threw a rod bearing. so i went to napa and got a set of main bearing and rob bearings standard size, and put them back on. all the other pistons seated correctly and i thought the number 3 piston had stopped moving back and forth. so i torqued them all to spec which is 23 ft lbs. and i spun the crankshaft with a socket about 15-20 times to get the bearins seated a little bit. and what do you know the number 3 piston is still rocking back and forth and not side to side. but all other 3 arent moving at all whatsoever. so i called the machine shop and they said they can mic it and shave it to fit and they will find the bearings for me but theyre charging me 235 dollars so i think im better off just buying a new crankshaft for 265 from napa. i need to know if there is anything i can do thats cheaper or something i skipped across and didnt think of or anything at all becuase no one sells oversized bearings that i can find around where i live. someone pelase help i love my civic and i need her to run again.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:06 AM

also do i need to take the transmisson off the block to get the crank out? the block and trans are still in the engine bay

Old 04-16-2012, 09:15 AM

You messed up the crank itself by throwing the bearing.

You can find a complete block in running condition for about $300-$400 with a transmission, too.

Yes, I believe the transmission needs to be dropped if you are removed the crank from the motor.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:19 AM

so with buying a set of oversized bearings to fit the gap on the number 3 journal that wouldnt help?

Old 04-16-2012, 10:25 AM
HCF Member

Don't all the dimensions have to be exact...not one rod/bearing/journal being different?

Old 04-16-2012, 10:30 AM

yea i guess, i was just thinking that a bigger sized bearing for the rod journal would fill in the gap. but i guess im just going to take the crank out and get it mic'd and shaven. but i need to know if i have to drop the trans or if i can just pull it out of the block from the bottom

Old 04-16-2012, 10:38 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You have to take the flywheel (or flex plate) off of the end of the crank, which requires removing the transmission.

It would be MUCH simpler to pull the engine+transmission and work on it outside the car.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:40 AM
Exclamation

well i dont have an engine hoist/lift or a stand. so is there a way i can take it out like undoing the motor mounts and just lifting the front of the car up with a few buddies? it cant weigh more than 1000 pounds with everything out. its just the block and the trans.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:42 AM

i wanna get the crank out today and get it down to the machine shop before 7 o clock. its 245 here now. it cant take that long

Old 04-16-2012, 01:29 PM
HCF Member

lead a horse to water but you cant make em drink,lol.its gonna cost the same to buy a whole other engine,then you get extra parts in stuff.your gonna have to pull the motor anyways.you have to crack the block and tranny apart.the motor only wieghs 200 lbs abouts.thats block,and head.easily liftable with a chain and a solid beam,or some friends with healthy shoulders.i just put a d16 in my 95,and i could lift it myself,but not pulling it from the compartment,that is time consumming.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Crankshaft problems....93 civic