Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

crankshaft sensor - engine running rough

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 02:10 PM
Default crankshaft sensor - engine running rough

My car started running rough and acts like its going to stall. it starts bucking at 3500 rpm and won't go above 3500. i used the code reader and it has codes p0335 and p0336 which i looked up and they are the crankshaft sensor. also another code p1457 for evap emissions leak. does this mean i have to buy a new crankshaft sensor or is there something that can be done to fix this? also if i do have to purchase a sensor where exactly is it on the engine and is it hard to replace? thanks in advance

Old 07-23-2007, 11:39 AM
Default RE: crankshaft sensor - engine running rough

its under your cam gear cover. i have changed a few and its tedious but not a hard job to do.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:46 AM

Thank you! I ended up taking it to a shop in hopes that when I got my timing belt fixed a month ago, they messed up! Nope. Another $350 out of my pocket!

Old 07-23-2007, 11:57 AM

ya like 6 months ago i replaced my friends crankshaft sensor and told him his belt needed changing cuz it looked bad. but if u ever replace ur belt i think u should replace the sensor to since its right there and u took it off to do the job anyways.

so did u get everything fixed and wut xactly wuz it ?

Old 07-24-2007, 03:15 PM

well the same place that did my timing belt a month ago is the same place I brought my car to do this work. It ended up being the crankshaft sensor and they ended up replacing some cover. I can never win with this car. Nothing but problems since the day I bought it!

Old 07-24-2007, 04:27 PM
HCF Member

it may not not your crank sensor , a crank sensor sends a signalto the computer to tell it that the engine is turning , if it were bad the engine would not start or run ,sometimes when they start to go bad you may get some excessive cranking time before it starts,i would clear the computer & try to drive it for a whileto see if any codes come back , could be somthing else , like a simple tune up

Old 07-24-2007, 05:58 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: camarogirl2683

well the same place that did my timing belt a month ago is the same place I brought my car to do this work. It ended up being the crankshaft sensor and they ended up replacing some cover. I can never win with this car. Nothing but problems since the day I bought it!
Wow thats a first with a honda

Old 07-24-2007, 09:45 PM

my knowledge on this subject comes str8 from my friends 2003 2000 and 99 civic's over the last 3 years. if its no sputtering running fine just every now and then u get a out of now where rev limit its the crankshaft sensor. i have never had one go out so bad that u cant start the motor. it might lock so bad that ur rev limiter is now at 2500 rpms like it did on my friends 03' civic 4dr ex. he drove it not knowing wtf it was for 6 months with a rev limit at 4500 and it would come and go for the most part. then i fixed it and that was the problem ><

needing atune up is way diff thanall of a sudden havinga rev limiter. thats wut it feels like><

Old 07-25-2007, 11:06 AM

in response to cyberx32: I thought hondas were good. That is why I bought one. But after a month of driving it new off the lot, every little thing that could happen has happened. Then, I paid it off in February and now all the majors are happening. I think I just have bad luck!
in response to everyone: it was the sensor. My car seems fine........for now

Old 07-25-2007, 12:12 PM

honda's to me are good cars same as nissans. as far as problems i have had more minor bull**** problems with my honda's than i have my nissans. its never been sumthing major on my honda's always sumthing retarded. but they are good cars. just like every car sooner or later things will break or wear out and need to be replaced.

gl with the car