Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 02:37 PM
HCF Member
Default Crazy idle

Yesterday I bought my first honda civic and am happy with what I got for the price I paid but have a idle that jumps up and down and am not sure what it could be for sure. I was told from the seller that it needs a new TPS and the fuel rail is from the old motor after the swap.
I'm wondering if you guys could help me figure this out. It seems to effect driving when getting on the gas. Just dont seem to get up and move as fast as you would think when pushing the pedal to the floor, once it hits the higher RPM and vtec kicks in it launches..
Could this be the TPS?
Can I get a new fuel rail, is is that several parts made into one?
Motor is a D15B, where can I find a TPS for this motor?
Sorry for the newbie questions but thats what I am.. First car project ever and I have no clue what I'm doing but am excited to learn as I go..
Thanks for any help, I'm sure I will have tons of questions..

Old 12-24-2012, 09:03 PM

Got the same problem. 2000 civic Lx 5 speed. Every time I fill up it sputters.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:57 PM
HCF Member

This could be a lot of things. The TPS is a good start. When you replace it, you'll have to calibrate it using a multimeter. Use a hacksaw to make a slit in the headless screws holding the tps on and unscrew them. Sometimes you'll get told you need to replace the whole throttle body. It's not true. The TPS can be replaced.

There is either the BLOX TPS or an OEM replacement. I believe the TPS is pretty universal.

The fuel rail is one part. I don't think the fuel rail would matter. Injectors would matter. You could always get your injectors flowed and balanced.

But first, you should check for vacuum leaks.

So, do this.

1) take your intake arm/filter on, start the car, put your hand (or wood, or whatever) over the throttle body. it should shut off. if not, there's a vacuum leak somewhere.

2) if you don't have a vacuum leak, replace the TPS

3) If that doesn't fix it, we'll troubleshoot further.

What ECU are you running?

Old 12-25-2012, 02:37 AM
HCF Member

Thanks Zero,
If the wife lets me have some time today I will get out and check for vacuum leaks and tomorrow i will check with the local auto parts stores to see if I can find a TPS. If not do you know a good online store?
Not sure what the ECU is? Could you explain and tell me how to find out?
Merry Christmas

Ok found how and where my ECU is and will look into what unit I have.

Last edited by TAT76; 12-25-2012 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Google ECU
Old 12-25-2012, 07:57 AM
HCF Member

Hondapartscheap or Acuraautomotive or even eBay honestly. EBay will have the blox ones for sure.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:23 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Test your TPS with a voltmeter. Connect voltmeter to measure voltage from the center wire of the TPS (still plugged in) to ground. Turn the key on but do not start the engine. You should measure 0.4 volts with the throttle closed, increasing smoothly to about 4.5 volts as you move the throttle plate to wide open.

The 0.4 at idle is the important part. If that is wrong, loosen the screws and rotate the TPS to adjust. This would only be necessary if it is not original. Original TPSs are adjusted at the factory and mated to the throttle body with tamper-resistant screws.

Last edited by mk378; 12-25-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:24 PM
HCF Member

GoOk guys I had a chance to test the volts with a friend that is a mechanic and we got crazy readings.. Closed was 4.28 and open was .4?? My friend dont work on hondas so didn't know what to think but is going to look into it, I thought I would ask you guys what you thought. Did we do something wrong or is the TPS just messed up? Being backwards would it really even run cause mine does but idle is all over the place, from 1000-1500 rpm jumps..

After googling "TPS readings backwards" I've found several others with this issue and it sounds like you can just switch the two outside wires. So does this mean that not all TPS's are the same? If thats the case, for my D15B motor what TPS do I need?

Last edited by TAT76; 12-26-2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Google is my friends :)
Old 12-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member

That happens on swap jobs if the throttle body is not the same kind as originally fitted. Some model's throttle bodies turn the TPS one way and others are reversed. Like you saw others doing, you just need to swap the two outside wires.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:45 PM
HCF Member

I had heard with the integras that switching the red and green wires can help too.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:51 AM
HCF Member

Sweet guys thanks, I will give it a go today after work.
Is it best to cut and splice the two or can I pull both from the plug and swap? If cutting what size is the wire so I can get connecters and heat wrap?

Since i have a swap do I buy motor parts as D15B or stock 94 civic?

Last edited by TAT76; 12-27-2012 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Best way/size

Quick Reply: Crazy idle