Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CRX CLUSTER ON DX

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 01:16 PM
HCF Member
Default CRX CLUSTER ON DX

i took a speedometer with the tachometer/ gas-temp in the center and speedometer on the right out of a honda civic crx newer model. and i have a 1989 honda civic dx hatchback. my question is the plugs match up correctly but i needed to find out if i can modify it in any way to make it work with my vehicle. when i plug in the stock harnesses and everything, right turn signal flashes but left one dont. check engine light stays on and the tachometer lifts when i press the gas but any higher than 2000 rpm and it goes higher, back down and lifts back up. any help would be appreciated and thanks alot!

Old 05-17-2008, 06:23 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: CRX CLUSTER ON DX

sounds to me like the wiring has been changed. the best thing you can do is to obtain a copy of the Factory service manual for the newer crx model and also for your own model year to see the electronic schematics. In the end, it might just be too incompatible but you won't know until you look at them and compare the two.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:26 PM
HCF Member

YEAH I THINK SO TOO. BUT FACTORY WOULD U KNOW WHERE TO FIND ONE ONLINE AT. I FOUND ON ON HONDATECHINFO AND ITS ONLY FOR THE CRX MODEL.O AND I DIDNT MEAN NEWER. THEIRS ONLY 2 GENS OF THE CRX. THE BOXY ONE AND THE SLEEK ONE AND THE NEWER SLEEK ONE IS WHERE I GOT THE CLUSTER. THE SLEEKS WERE AROUND 91 I THINK FROM 88 AND THE BOXY ONES ARE 83 I THINK TO 87

Old 05-17-2008, 06:31 PM
HCF Member

check here for a manual

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Civic/

be sure to scroll down for all the manuals

Old 05-17-2008, 06:40 PM
HCF Member

90 91 plugs

88 89 plugs

Old 05-17-2008, 06:42 PM
HCF Member

OMG HATCH UR A LIFE SAVER. BUT ONE THING I NOTICED IS IT WIRED COMPLETELY DIFFERENT AS MEANS TO THE BACK PANEL. OR DO I JUST HAVE TO SWAP THE WIRES FOR IT TO WORK. BECAUSE LOL I TURNED ON MY TURN SIGNAL AND THE TACH WOULD GO UP AND DOWN UP AND DOWN LMAO. SORRY BOUT THE CAPS

Old 05-17-2008, 07:01 PM
HCF Member

im guessing you dont have the stock plugs for the back of the newer cluster?? If not your gonna have to rewire your stock plugs. as for the tach jumping around it cause the plug input on the new cluster, diffrent spots for the ground and the two power wires. I would sujest getting 90 or 91 plugs for the newer cluster, be easyer. or do what i did.
99 ex cluster if you gona rewire make it worth it...lol

Old 05-17-2008, 07:02 PM
HCF Member

I'm confused b/c based on the images you posted hatch, MistaGlock's right and left turn signals should work since they are still used in the same wire. But MistaGlock says that his L turn signal is not working properly. So something is not the same as the pictures. MistaGlock, can you verify that your own wiring harness is the same as two of them (C&D) and the newer ones are the same as the other two (E&F)?

Old 05-17-2008, 07:09 PM
HCF Member

ok both of the tachometers look the same almost identical in size. they can both be mounted without drilling or any mod. and the dash hatch showed isnt nothing like the one i have. this ****s wierd their both nippondenso brand "NS" and the wires dont look like theyve been screwed with. the tach i have stock now

and the cluster i have in my honda currently

Old 05-17-2008, 07:28 PM
HCF Member

MistaGlock
pm your number to me ill call you and explain this lol

Quick Reply: CRX CLUSTER ON DX