Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

CRX Oil Pressure Light

Old 07-10-2012, 07:07 PM
HCF Member
Default CRX Oil Pressure Light

i have a 1991 honda CRX SI with the original D16A6 motor in it. and recently i redid the oilpan gasket and replaced the oil pump o ring. well we fast foward a few days and the cars running fine. i get about 2 blocks from home and i noticed the oil pressure light came on. as im on a hill i quickly shut off the motor and i turned it on then restarted it. the light stayed on a sec then shut off. so i went to turn the corner gave it gas and when i let off the gas it started to turn on again. so its when i rev it it goes off. idle it stays on. i thought maybe ilost all my oil again but im stumped. i got home and checked the dipstick. it was kinda dark but i coulda swore it looked below the bottom dot "when i put the motor back together i filled it halfway between the dots,,, i wasnt sure to use it all incase it started another epic leak. so i close the hood and go in. next day i jack it up and put oil in it. and now its saying its overfilled.... only putting in about 40 percent of a 5gal jug and didnt even put it allin btw. so i opened the drainplug and let some out so my engine aint overfilled. and when i got underneath it i didnt see any leaks. i wiped the oil pan to spot any new leaks but theirs definately some bull**** going on and im stumped. im wondering if the O ring came off of the oil pump while trying to put it on. can someone give me a detailed idea of how to properly do the oil pump? do you add rtv sealant to the o ring? im seriously trying not to **** my d16 up but im also driving a cavalier at the moment which ****ing sucks. any ideas?

Old 07-11-2012, 01:49 PM
June 2010 ROTM

I suggest hooking up a oil pressure gauge to see what it's really reading. The oil light will go on when pressure drops below 10 psi or so. If it reads okay, check the wiring to the oil pressure sending unit (sensor) and/or replace the sending unit. If it is reading low, checkover your work.