Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Currently Installing Skunk2 Shifter, Need Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 07:21 AM
HCF Member
Default Currently Installing Skunk2 Shifter, Need Help Please!

Im currently in the middle of the install, and need help with the last 2 parts. I currently have the shifter in, the only 2 problems I'm haveing are:

1) The linkage connecting to the trans that I took off to put on the new bushings won't go back on (I can't get the whole to line up for the bolt). The bolt goes in, but wont thread through to the other side (this is the B?IGGEST problem, and really is starting to annoy me). any tips on lining it up?

2) The new bolt that I was provided to connect the bottom of the shifter to the linkage has 2 washers, a big round metal piece, and the other 2 smaller metal pieces with one end thicker than the other. If anyone has a diagram of how this goes on, I'll love you forever

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:21 AM
HCF Member

BTW my car's a 96 CX hatch.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:48 AM
HCF Member

if you had pictures, the 2nd question would be way easier to answer

as for the first one, could it be a worn out, beat up bushing that doesn't line up anymore? I recommend replacing the bushings with polyurethane ones anyway, makes such a big difference, easy to do, and super cheap. That might help you out.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:01 AM
HCF Member

UPDATE: Got the linkage to line up at the trans, now I just have to attached the shifter to the linkage. Ill get pics up in a sec of what it looks like.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:06 AM
HCF Member

Where the shifter and linkage meet:

The bolt/accessories that have to go in the ^^:

Old 04-08-2009, 08:08 AM
HCF Member

I'm so happy I got it to line up at the front tho, it was driving me craaazy!!:P

Old 04-08-2009, 09:38 AM

Okay here's how it goes.

The funny looking metal cylinders with one end smaller than the other... the small end goes into the hole in the bottom of the shifter. One on each side.

The order from left to right (or right to left... backwards doesn't matter) is:

(highlighted in red is in between the fork of the shift linkage bracket)

1. bolt
2. round metal cylinder
3. washer
4. shift linkage bracket
5. funny round cylinder with different sized ends
6. shifter
7. funny round cylinder with different sized ends

8. shift linkage bracket
9. washer
10. nut

Old 04-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well next time you take the linkage off the tranny point then put the car in 3rd gear.... it makes it alot easier to get the pin to line up. if its in 2nd,4th.R then the linkage is pushed into the tranny which makes it alot harder to line up with the rubber boot.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:22 PM
HCF Member

K well I installed it, but for the bolt, the metal pieces with different ends, when in the shifter, wouldn't line up properly. So for now I have the washers between the shifter and that linkage bracket, I want to change it if it's wrong tho!

Should I bend the bracket so that it fits?

Old 04-08-2009, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by JizzleCX
K well I installed it, but for the bolt, the metal pieces with different ends, when in the shifter, wouldn't line up properly. So for now I have the washers between the shifter and that linkage bracket, I want to change it if it's wrong tho!

Should I bend the bracket so that it fits?
So are you saying that the shifter and the two funny shaped metal cylinders with different sized ends won't all fit in between the fork on the bracket?

And no, don't bend the bracket. Wait for my instructions... I think I know what's wrong... I may have had the same problem.

Quick Reply: Currently Installing Skunk2 Shifter, Need Help Please!