Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Currently Installing Skunk2 Shifter, Need Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 01:54 PM
HCF Member

Ya that's exactly what happened, so I put the washer between the shifter and linkage fork, put on funny metal piece on each side on the outside, and didn't even use the big cylinder metal piece (wouldn't all fit).

Old 04-08-2009, 01:58 PM

Yea don't do that either.

Do it in the same order I had it listed earlier, except you can leave out the big metal cylinder piece.

For the funny metal pieces, make the small end go into the hole in the shifter itself, one on each side.

What you're going to have to do is take a file and file down the big end of each funny metal piece until the stuff will fit in between the fork of the bracket.

They must have sent you pieces for a B-series linkage. I had the same problem with my buddy club shifter... I filed down the funny metal pieces as I described until I could get it all to fit.

To do it faster, lay the file down on a surface and hold it in place with one hand. Then take the funny piece in your other hand and swipe it back and forth across the file until it's short enough. Make sure you do the filing to both, not just one. Try to do the filing so that each piece comes out to close to the same size.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:09 PM
HCF Member

K well I just went back under and there is literally juuust enough space for the washers themselves, so those pieces aren't fitting unless i bend the fork and file a looot. It works fine as is, don't hear any grinding or metal on metal, verrrry smooth shifts (I'm guessing because of the new bushings). It's like a brand new tranny!:P

Old 04-09-2009, 05:45 AM
HCF Member

Theres no way I could bend the forks to make the funny metal pieces fit? If thats the way it's suposed to be, I want to do it properlly!