Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Cylinder Misfires Cold Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Default Cylinder Misfires Cold Start

Hi All,
I have searched on the forums for this problem and havent had any luck. Here is whats going on. First off I know next to nothing about engines, but I can figure things out pretty well. My car (01' Honda Civic LX) has been idling really rough as of late, but only when the engine is cold. I start the car after its been off for about a 12 hr period and the engine runs fine. After about a minute however my engine starts to idle rough and sometimes quits. After the engine is running and its warm the problem slowly goes away and the engine begins to run fine. I took my car to autozone and they plugged it in. The person there told me I had numerious engine misfires and I probally need a tune up. I had just gotten new plugs put into my car, about a month ago. After adding them, the problem went away for about a week. Then it started up again. Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing it?

Thanks!!

Old 03-01-2006, 06:30 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Cylinder Misfires Cold Start

WHat were the codes you were getting? The guy said it was a misfire, but the misfires can happen for various reasons and the code can sometimes give a hint of what could be causing the misfire.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:22 PM

they didnt give me the specific codes, what she did say was it was on multiple cylinders (ie. cylinder 1, 2, and I belive 3)

Old 03-01-2006, 10:24 PM
HCF Member

What kind of plugs are you running? Are they gapped properly? Id replace the cap/rotor on the dizzy, definetly check the fuel system too. New fuel filter is only a few bucks. Then run some sea foam.........Have you messed with the timing at all?

Old 03-01-2006, 10:27 PM

i got some plugs from walmart. As i said i know hardly anything about cars, I used there handy computer they had for finding the right ones. I punched up my car in the computer they had and I took the ones off the shelf that matched. I remember they said no-gapping. Is that maybe a problem? And no, I have not messed with any timing

Old 03-01-2006, 10:32 PM
HCF Member

Id have the Distrubutor looked at. Tune that up. Maybe your injectors are clogged? Run SEA FOAM

Old 03-01-2006, 10:35 PM

Ok, ill get some SEA FOAM Also, I dont know if this is related or not, but I also wanted to mention this. I get a very strong odor of fuel in the car when idling, but it goes away when driving

Old 03-02-2006, 07:21 PM

Ok, I didnt use sea foam, but I used something that works along the same lines. Within about 10 minutes of driving after adding it to my fuel tank, the problem was gone and my check engine light went off. Thanks!!! One thing tho, i wanted to pick up a fuel filter but I cant seem to find one that is for my car, autozone doesnt have any it says online and walmart has a bunch of FRAM ones but no guide to match it up to. any ideas?

Old 03-02-2006, 07:24 PM
HCF Member

I wouldn't buy auto parts from walmart.

Old 03-03-2006, 09:15 PM

Yah, I know there not the best. But i work there so I get a discount, plus im short on cash

Quick Reply: Cylinder Misfires Cold Start