Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

D16y7 Exhaust Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 04:55 PM
HCF Member
Default D16y7 Exhaust Manifold

Hi Guys:

I have a question,

What are the symptoms of the cracked exhaust manifold.
In my previous post where i got weird vibrations while the car is in drive at a stop sign idling, so someone suggested to check the exhaust manifold. I took the heat shield off and long behold, there is a 3 inch long crack alongside the manifold not to far from the O2 sensor.
So my question is what does this affect?
I was told that i may have the vibrations because there is not enough back pressure and the air is leaking out. Can this be true.

I found one for $219 plus tax., don't seem too bad

Please help

Old 04-24-2012, 08:19 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Cracked manifold will cause the engine to run rich, reduce gas mileage, foul the plugs, and destroy the cat.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:20 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by OlegChicago
Hi Guys:

I have a question,

What are the symptoms of the cracked exhaust manifold.
In my previous post where i got weird vibrations while the car is in drive at a stop sign idling, so someone suggested to check the exhaust manifold. I took the heat shield off and long behold, there is a 3 inch long crack alongside the manifold not to far from the O2 sensor.
So my question is what does this affect?
I was told that i may have the vibrations because there is not enough back pressure and the air is leaking out. Can this be true.

I found one for $219 plus tax., don't seem too bad

Please help
also i don't mean to scare you but i've heard it can burn valves which would reduce compression...i don't know how true this is though.

however my exhaust manifold had a crack down the center and when i tested the compression on my engine the two center cylinders were a little down on compression (not horrible tho). don't know if this was the result of the cracked manifold or not.

also i've seen exhaust manifolds for d16y7's for as cheap as 180$. can't vouche for their quality though.

Last edited by briceman124; 04-25-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:26 AM
HCF Member

Hey, I just posted about the same thing. I had a 3-4" crack right where the upstream O2 sensor connects. I purchased a Dorman exhaust manifold on Amazon and installed it last night with a new Denso O2 sensor. The quality of the part feels pretty good. My car runs quieter, accelerates a little better, and doesn't smell like exhaust in the cabin. Additionally, before I swapped out the manifold, my car would lightly diesel after I shut it off (ie, it would sputter for about one second), and now it doesn't. I was getting poor MPG after trying almost everything, so hopefully this does the trick. Just be prepared for some seriously tight bolts. I had a few that were slightly seized where the cat connects to the lower pipe (whatever that's called).

Old 04-26-2012, 10:58 AM
HCF Member

Yep, i saw your post as well.

I saw the manifold on Amazaon as well. I got mine from O'reilly Auto Store. It's a dorman as well. they matched online price so i paid around $245(tax included). I saw some on amazon for around a $215+ shipping from reputable sellers.
I picked the local store instead of online because of warranty, just in case.
I dropped it of this morning at a shop down the street from my work. He is charging my around $70 to install.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:27 AM
HCF Member

Good deal. It seems pretty quality, aside from the ghetto looking heat shield.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:27 AM
HCF Member

Any news on the Dorman part? Still happy with it?