Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Differences In The Civics

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 09:45 AM
Default Differences In The Civics

Ok, i'm not expert, but am looking into getting a civic. I wan tan Si, but if I can't have that, I atleast want a Vtec motor. So, which cars have that? Im not big on the main differences between SE's, EK's, DX's, LX's, etc.... Also, does the Vtec come in a coupe or sedan or both?
I'm looking for a newer car, probably a 98-2003 with Vtec and lower mileage of course. How much can I expect to spend and what is a decent mileage, anything I should be looking out for when test driving?

I know, a lot of questions, but trying to educate myself the quickest way I can. thanks!

Old 09-04-2006, 11:36 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Differences In The Civics

WOw this question is hard to answer because you have asked so much. 98-2000 civics are EK generation civics. there are DX, LX, and EX. the EX was the bells and whistles model and the DX is the stripped model. the LX is in between. the coupes DX came with the D17A1 if i remember correctly. as well as the lx and ex. I believe it was a 1.6L SOHC VTEC engine. in the year 1999 they produced the Si. which had everything the EX did except it had an upgraded suspension, braking system and a larger engine. the B16A2. 1.6L DOHC VTEC. some of them came with B18C 1.8L DOHC engine. it was basically made to to be turboed.

Now in 2001 they changed the body style of the civic completely. It became the EP generation civic. EX, LX and DX are the same. trim styles. these had D17A2 1.7L SOHC VTEC engine. in 2002 they produced the Si. again it is a sportier version made for racing. it only comes in a HAtchback. which to me is a drawback. it had a K20a2 i believe. 2.0L DOHC iVTEC engine. somebody finish this i have to go back to the barracks.

Old 09-04-2006, 11:43 AM
HCF Member

92-current civic ex's all come with vtec engines

Old 09-04-2006, 11:50 AM
HCF Member

blah. what gen are we talking?

im going to assume EK
CX: low end hatch. basically everything was optional and nothing was really standard. d16y7
DX: low end hatch, sedan, and coupe. basically came standard with everything that was optional in the CX but didnt have much still. d16y7
VP: value package. only came in sedan. basically the DX with a few extra bells and whistles. d16y7
HX: only offered in coupe. gas mileage is the main goal. 3-stage vtec d16y5 engine, light as hell wheels. basically a DX with different engine and wheels
LX: came in sedan only. 'luxruy' edition. came with mostly all the bells and whistles minus the sunroof, but otherwise is the same as the DX sedan. d16y7 engine.
EX: top end. came in sedan and coupe. came with everything offered in every trim level, plus a sunroof. 127hp d16y8 SOHC VTEC engine.
Si: sports edition. came in coupe only. came with everything plus a 160hp b16a2 DOHC VTEC engine, bigger brakes, stiffer suspension. EX coupe with more performance in mind.

Old 09-04-2006, 06:10 PM

thank you for the awesome replies.. ok..

So, the only way i am getting a DOHC car is a Si?

EX looks like the top model in all forms and years am i correct?

Any suggestions on what mileage to not go over (ie -100K,120K,etc.)

I need something that is going to last me forever (which is why i want a honda) but i need to know what kind of problems i can expect over certain mileage ya know!?

Any preference on the BEST engine that honda put out in the civic's? I know, the Si is pretty damn good, but besides that (insurance is alot on those cars)

Old 09-04-2006, 08:48 PM
HCF Member

Yeah the dohc came only in the si.
For hondas try not to go over 200,000 that is about the time the rust starts getting all over the car.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:49 AM
HCF Member

since you are in US, the averge mileage per year is 15,000.
i would say that engine wear starts to become a factor at 140 to 160 thousand.
time to rebuild.
same for all vehicles - except diesels

Old 09-05-2006, 02:33 PM

im trying to keep whatever i buy to have under 100K when i buy it.. how do accords hold up to civics? same reliablilty? Also, how's the V6 acords, i love those thins, pricey, but nice cars.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:04 PM
HCF Member

dont know much of the difference.
stuff like that i use to see in consumer reports.
dont know if they still do it.
but is a generalization.

i would not have a v6 - but i do my own engine work.
no way i would want to work on one of them

Old 09-05-2006, 09:32 PM

ORIGINAL: fglaustin

dont know much of the difference.
stuff like that i use to see in consumer reports.
dont know if they still do it.
but is a generalization.

i would not have a v6 - but i do my own engine work.
no way i would want to work on one of them
Why is that?

Quick Reply: Differences In The Civics