Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Distributor Timing

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 04:53 AM
HCF Member
Default Distributor Timing

I was just wondering if anyone has messed with the timing on the distributor to get better gas mileage? Which setting yielded the best MPG? I have a JDM d15b vtec motor. thanks

Old 07-01-2010, 07:18 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Don't mess with the distributor. Set the ignition timing to spec:

Old 07-01-2010, 07:43 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Civic engines are already quite optimized for economy. You could try setting to the first mark in the group of 3 instead of the center mark, but if the engine knocks then, go back to the center one. I doubt the mpg will change much if at all by doing that.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:44 PM
HCF Member

alright guys thanks. Im gonna set it back to the middle. I retarded it on the distributor even though i know there really isnt much adjustment there anyways

Last edited by NonRicer; 07-01-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:59 AM

From the distributor plug, which wire runs to the temp gauge?

Old 07-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Recognized HCF Member

None of them. The sender for the gauge is screwed into the head just beneath the distributor. It has one wire.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Temp gauge signal comes from the 1-wire temp gauge sender under the distributor.

Name:  picture_5025.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  61.7 KB

Old 07-02-2010, 09:41 PM

Alright thanks, my heater hose busted and sprayed everywhere so I had to replace it, now i find that my temp gauge dosen't work right anymore.
The needle jumps everywhere between the normal warmed up spot and all the way cold, then when I hit the gas and **** the needle goes all the way down really quick and comes back up when the car idols..

Oh and also, I would like to know if anyone has any ideas as to why my A/C is being a bitch..
At idol the compressor kicks on then kicks off immediately and it does this non-stop, so it boggs the motor down like crazy.
It's fine while driving, and the A/C is cold while driving, but not cold while idoling.
Also the fan dosen't spin while all that's happening.
I've tried recharging the freon but it didn't need to be recharged.
Everything started working normally for about a month, and just a few days ago it started all this **** again..
AutoZone ****tards are absolutely no help, hopefully y'all are..
Thanks.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:55 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Bleed your cooling system. There is probably a bubble of air in the engine causing the temperature reading (and actual temperature) to go all over the place. To bleed the system have the car parked on level ground. Turn the heater dial all the way to hot. Take the radiator cap off (engine COLD) and fill radiator to the top. Then start the engine with the cap off and add more as necessary.

The problems with the A/C are entirely because the condenser fan is not working. It should run all the time the compressor is on. Without the fan, the condenser will overheat leading to overpressure which bogs down the engine and causes the compressor to cut out. But it all works fine while driving because that forces air through the condenser and you don't need a fan. Some models have a ground wire near the condenser which is only for the fan. If it's not that, likely the fan motor itself is dead but it could also be the relay. It's not going to be a fuse because the compressor is on the same fuse and it works.

Last edited by mk378; 07-03-2010 at 04:58 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:29 AM

I'm gunna check all that out today, lastnight I removed the distributor again and saw why my temp gauge wasn't working, the connector that attaches to the temperature sender, was broken.
So I used a really small hose clamp, it's on there pretty well, hopefully it stays that way, I don't think that's the type of part I can get from a part store, I'd probably have to yank it from a salvage yard.

But yea about the A/C, the fan dosen't spin anymore, it was being a P.O.S. when I got the car, doing what it's doing now, but then it quit and started working fine, but now it's acting up again.

Quick Reply: Distributor Timing