Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Dome light

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 06:56 PM
Unhappy Dome light

So i got my first car yesterday! A 1995 honda civic ex. Its an awesome car but i have an issue with the dome light. All over the internet i see problems with the dome light but not like this. The light worked, then suddenly turned off, as well as the door opened alarm not working. I replaced the fuse with the spare it came with "even tho it was non blown" and it worked, but not great. It started to flicker and dim then stop all together. The dome switch doesnt work in the on position, nor in the when doors open position. i took a volt meter to it and only got about 6.5-7v. I am desperately confused and bothered about it. PLEASE HELP!!!

PSIt is a new radio deck, but it was working when i bought it.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:30 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Take it out of the ceiling and inspect the connections on top. One wire is live all the time, I think it comes from the "BACK UP" fuse under the hood, which is also involved with the radio. Check that you have solid 12 volts on that one. The other wire is grounded when you open a door. Often the light assembly itself is faulty. You can use the opportunity to upgrade to LEDs.