Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Drive Clean Test - Canada

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 10:09 PM
Default Drive Clean Test - Canada

I have some issues with my Drive Clean Test results, I have a 1994 Accord and have recently failed the emission test. The result indicate that NO reading is above normal. I have already changed my catalytic converter and still failed. HC and CO reading is way below the limit. I have just recently did a major tune up, oil changed. Can someone tell me what's going on???????

Old 02-05-2005, 07:37 AM
Default RE: Drive Clean Test - Canada

This drive clean thing in Canada is a big tax grab. I'm having problems with my HydroCarbon levels.. twice the limit. I was told to change the Cat. Converter, but then got a diagnostic test... found out that I have a compression problem or vacuum leak.. whatever that means. All I know is that the garages are hammering us up here with garbage to line their pockets. I don't know what to tell you on your problem, but I do know that I feel your pain. If I see anything for you, I'll post more. Marc

Old 04-30-2005, 03:05 PM

I would try a different garage. Could be a problem with their machine.

Old 05-01-2005, 12:56 AM

I've heard about alot of people running a cleaner through the gas tank just prior to the test. In other words a week or two prior then going in with a full tank of Hi test (octane). This would clean any carbon deposits in the combustion chamber. Other areas maybe O2 sensor but you should be able to check this if you have a code reader or your getting really poor mileage. If you've adjusted your timing this may cause bad readings as well. Not sure if you replaced or cleaned your EGR in the tune up but that may cause some problems as well. Did it with every Drive clean for the Mustang and she always passed with flying colors. Haven't tried the Honda yet. Let me know how you make out as I have to do mine next month.

Old 05-01-2005, 10:23 AM

Glad I am in Saskatchewnan not test of any kind.

Old 05-06-2005, 12:28 PM
HCF Member

A friend of mine said that his dad would pour pure alocohol (100%) into the gas tank because his car couldn't pass emissions. Maybe this can help?

Old 05-06-2005, 12:40 PM

Believe it or not, there are a few other things you can do to insure a pass.
Run an engine cleaner through with the gas, a tank or two before the test (as said above).
Also, change your oil and filter, and yes.......put about 50 pounds of air in your drive (front) tires. When they put your car on the machine, hard tires have LESS friction and the engine doesn't have to work as hard, and in turn, doesn't create as much exhaust gases.