Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Side door lock.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 09:13 AM
Default Driver Side door lock.

Hey all,

Ugh the other day I was just driving around in my 96 Civic 4 door. And I usually have my left arm on the window where the door lock is. With these cars the locks are like sticks and it just goes down and up obviously heh. Well when I tried to get out of my car i wasn't able to. The lock wouldnt come up. I tried the power locks everything unlocked except that one. And now the only way of getting into the car is using my key to the point where it will almost bend and pull the handle before the lock goes close to down again. Also same goes for when I need to get out of the car. Pulling up the lock as far as I can and yank on the handle. So this is getting really ridiculous heh considering its winter now and snow.

Any tips on how to fix this? No clue really. All the obvious things seem to not work heh.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:33 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Driver Side door lock.

Take off the door panel and see if something is binding. If you can take some pics of the inside of the door. Pics will help us to help you.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:21 PM

Hmm would that be hard to do? Im not the exactly the handyest person heh.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:06 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: julienguyendang

Hmm would that be hard to do? Im not the exactly the handyest person heh.
No it's not too bad. Your doors should be setup the same as mine as they're the same generation Civic. Here we go..

Theres a few screws you need to remove. One inside the door release handle (look in there, you'll see it.) one in the handle you use to close the door, and then if you pop off the speaker cover (Just pull) theres three in there. Once you've removed those, pull out the lock mechanism and disconnect the clip inside, and do the same with the closing handle. The door cover will seem stubborn as it's held in by the infamouns Honda Clips. Just give it a good yank and you'll hear them pop loose, be sure not to lose any of those clips.

That's it, take a look around and see if anything looks outta place, stuck, etc.. Take a pic or two and we'll try and help