Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Drum Breaks are Breaking My Balls

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 04:32 PM
HCF Member
Default Drum Breaks are Breaking My *****

I cannot get my new drum break pads on, and it doesn't matter what I try. The pads are way to huge and the drum will not even fit over them. Does anyone have any tips or advice for me?

And yes they are the right pads. Autozone gave me the wrong pads first, and I had to go back and get the right ones. This whole job of changing the pads is really being a terrible experience for me.lol
Thanks for your help in advance,

Eric

Old 10-18-2008, 05:15 PM
HCF Member

I'm not sure but I think that happens sometimes if you have the emergency brake engaged.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:00 PM
HCF Member

try a vice grip and compress them

Old 10-18-2008, 06:51 PM
Recognized HCF Member

because you haave to FIRST move the adjuster all the way together, and if thats not enough to put the drum over them then you have a typical lip on the drums... if ya dont have a grinder to eat the outter edge down then take the drums to a place that turns them and have them turned... its best to have them turned anyways so your brake pads have a smooth surface to seat to!

its very common that theres a lip on the drums outta lip. youll be able to feel it!

and with moving the adjuster all the way in you need to adjust it so it has a slight drag on the drums.... the adjuster will tighten up alittle by itself but you need to put some drag so its close to the right adjustment. if you leave it loose youll have crappy rear brakes for posibly along time.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by bigolsackapoo
I cannot get my new drum break pads on, and it doesn't matter what I try. The pads are way to huge and the drum will not even fit over them. Does anyone have any tips or advice for me?
Turn the adjuster bolt until clevis A and clevis B have their shortest length. This should allow the drum to be installed:

Name:  picture_1510.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  102.0 KB

Old 10-19-2008, 06:06 AM
HCF Member

Yeah I made sure that the clevis was as short as possible. I'll grind my drums today I guess. There is a lip, but its not terrible. I'm going to take the whole assembly off today and completely restart, if that doesn't work I'll grind the drum.

Edit- E-brake was not engaged.

Last edited by bigolsackapoo; 10-19-2008 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:44 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The threads of the adjusting bolt and clevises often become clogged with brake gunk that prevents the clevises from adjusting down to the shortest length possible. If you suspect this could be the problem, clean and lubricate these threads when you disassemble the brake assembly.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Do not underestimate the ability of chain parts stores to give you the wrong part, over and over again. Take a brake shoe off and hold it inside the drum to see if it is even close to being the right size.

The ridge will not interfere with getting the drum on if the adjuster is all the way closed and the shoes are the right size. Think about it, that ridge is the unworn part that is still the OEM specified diameter of a new drum. When you have a large ridge that means your drum is badly worn and replacement should be considered.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:32 AM
HCF Member

Well I got the breaks installed, and my stopping power is much better. It turns out that my springs were shot, I got new springs and blamo! the pads fit in the drum. I guess the springs didn't have enough tension to contract the pads fully.

Thanks for your help, and its a nice feeling to know I have a dedicated community whenever I'm in doubt.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by bigolsackapoo
It turns out that my springs were shot, I got new springs and blamo! the pads fit in the drum. I guess the springs didn't have enough tension to contract the pads fully.
Glad to hear the problem is now behind you. In retrospect, were the springs noticeably deformed and over-stretched?

Quick Reply: Drum Breaks are Breaking My Balls