Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

dual point injector woes

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Default dual point injector woes

So my car starts, idles but when i step on the gas it dies. i have plenty of pressure, all the way to the throttle body. heres the catch, if i pul the connector to the primary injector, nothing happens, if i pull the aux, it dies. shouldnt it be the other way around? also im showing a 16 code on the ecu, red led flashes 16. (injector) should i replace it or how do i tell if the harness is sending a signal to the injector? what voltage rate should be measured at the harness connector? i know the ohms on the injector itself is .6 to 1.6 resistance, but if its not getting a signal to open? how do i test this? Thanks for your interest in helping me solve the problem.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You should measure battery voltage at the main injector with the key in ON(II). If not, the Yel/Blk wire has an open or the main relay is faulty and may need to be resoldered.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by RonJ
You should measure battery voltage at the main injector with the key in ON(II). If not, the Yel/Blk wire has an open or the main relay is faulty and may need to be resoldered.
so what should the voltage be? 2 volts or so?

Old 02-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by fastncrazy1
so what should the voltage be? 2 volts or so?
Battery voltage = voltage that you measure across the two battery terminals. This will probably be around 12.5V.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:15 PM

Battery voltage = voltage that you measure across the two battery terminals. This will probably be around 12.5V.
ok, i get that a car charging system would only show 12 volts with key on, car off. but wouldnt the ecm step down the voltage or regulate it to only the necessary voltage required to activate the solonoid on the injector? if not than its easy to test. im hoping this is the case, but is it that easy? i can just check the harness when i turn on the car for 12 volts at the injector connection?

Old 02-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ok, i get that a car charging system would only show 12 volts with key on, car off. but wouldnt the ecm step down the voltage or regulate it to only the necessary voltage required to activate the solonoid on the injector? if not than its easy to test. im hoping this is the case, but is it that easy? i can just check the harness when i turn on the car for 12 volts at the injector connection?
Yes, it's as easy as turning the key to ON(II) and measuring the voltage to body ground at the unplugged injector connector.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Default injector

ok, so i have good resistance that measures between .6 and 1.6 the voltage on the connector itself was only 9.9 volts. should this be 12 volts? whats the source, is this directly from the relay by the fuse panel that should be checked for cracks? my next ? is going to be....is it a constant 12 volts to the injector? what tells the injector how much, or when to open? wouldn't more voltage open the injector more?

Old 02-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Recognized HCF Member

...the voltage on the connector itself was only 9.9 volts. should this be 12 volts? whats the source, is this directly from the relay by the fuse panel that should be checked for cracks?

Again, the voltage you should measure is battery voltage, which comes through the main relay. What was your battery voltage? Is voltage at the main and aux injector connectors the same?

my next ? is going to be....is it a constant 12 volts to the injector? what tells the injector how much, or when to open? wouldn't more voltage open the injector more?

The voltage at the injector remains constant. The injector fires when the ECU provides ground to the injector voltage. So you also need to check whether this injector ground wire has continuity. If so, you may have an ECU problem.
------------------------------

Old 02-02-2010, 07:27 AM

AAAHHHHHA it all makes sense now. i will check these items when i get home today. to sum it up, i had 9.9 volts at the connector to the main injector. i will compare it to the aux, and then test the relay tonight. as well as determine what my bat voltage is from the main terminals. i will check continuity on the grond wire to the ecu also tonight. Thank you for the valuable information. this has helped tremendousley!

Old 02-08-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:

ok, im still having issues. the red wire on the connector is showing 11.5 volts. the yellow and black wire shows nothing. should the yellow and black wire be showing 12 volts? and the red should go to ground thru the ecu?

Quick Reply: dual point injector woes