Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Electric window issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 05:54 AM
Unhappy Electric window issue

hello!

so my passenger window decided to stop working the other day. (had a feeling it was coming since the window would go up slow and even slower on colder days) and it is now stuck half way down. i didnt hear the motor running so i figured must be that, bought a new one and plugged it in before doing all the work to put it into the door, to no avail, dosnt work. so im thinking maybe the switch has gone...? but the drivers side switch dosnt work either...its about to down pour here...

is there a way a way to hand crank the electric window so i can at least have it stuck up rather than down???

thanks

Old 08-19-2011, 05:59 AM

Details of what car you have would be helpful. Year, trim and how many doors?

Old 08-19-2011, 06:15 AM

ha sorry, that would help

95 civic coupe EX

Old 08-19-2011, 07:46 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You can unplug the motor and use two lengths of wire to jumper it to a car battery to make the window go up independent of the car wiring. If it tries to go down instead of up, reverse the wires.

Broken wires between the door and the car frame are a common reason for power windows to stop working. It is usually the driver's door because that one gets opened and closed (flexing the wires) much more than the passenger door. The circuit for the passenger window goes through both doors. To test this, open the door turn the key on and hold down the window button while you wiggle the bundle of wires between the frame and the door.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by mk378
You can unplug the motor and use two lengths of wire to jumper it to a car battery to make the window go up independent of the car wiring. If it tries to go down instead of up, reverse the wires.

Broken wires between the door and the car frame are a common reason for power windows to stop working. It is usually the driver's door because that one gets opened and closed (flexing the wires) much more than the passenger door. The circuit for the passenger window goes through both doors. To test this, open the door turn the key on and hold down the window button while you wiggle the bundle of wires between the frame and the door.
thank you was successful at jumping the window and got it to go up. i tried wiggling the wire bundle in both doors and wasnt successful tho :/

Old 08-24-2011, 01:38 PM
HCF Member

When I bought an Accord, left window wasn't working. I followed wiring using a diagram. The problem was on driver's side switch which was not working properly. Took it apart and cleaned the contacts. Put it back together and it worked. And it's been three years since then, still working.

I hope yours is as simple as that.

Correction: It was right window that wasn't working. And it was due to left window switch that caused problem.

Last edited by maachan513; 08-25-2011 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 08-25-2011, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by maachan513
When I bought an Accord, left window wasn't working. I followed wiring using a diagram. The problem was on driver's side switch which was not working properly. Took it apart and cleaned the contacts. Put it back together and it worked. And it's been three years since then, still working.

I hope yours is as simple as that.
haha i can only hope. where can i find a diagram? id like to trace it and find the problem.

thanks

Old 08-25-2011, 07:00 AM
HCF Member

There is link for maintenance manual on this forum. You can download and save. Or, you could buy Haynes manual which I used when I was troubleshooting on my Accord.

Hope it will work for you.