Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Electrical issue 2001 Honda Civic EX 1.7L manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 08:46 AM
Default Electrical issue 2001 Honda Civic EX 1.7L manual transmission

First, let me state that I am female, and cars are not my thing. I will try to post as much info as possible, but please let me know if I am missing something.

I have a 2001 Honda Civic EX manual transmission. Recently the alternator "got loose," (someone failed to replace one of the bolts), and it fried my pcm.

The dealership was unable to locate the correct part (no longer available), so I ordered an Acura part that was supposed to be compatible. It came with an immobilizer and new key.

I installed it myself a few weeks ago. It ran perfectly well for 3 weeks, but the engine light came back on after clearing it out. It was a catalytic converter error. However, like I said, despite the engine light, it ran fine.

This weekend my car started having the same old problem...unable to accelerate past 40mph. I unplugged the pcm, plugged it back in, and it worked normally again.

However, this is now happening on a routine basis. Every time the problem starts, the engine light pops on. I am getting an error code P1361. I replaced the Camshaft Position Sensor, and still have the same issue.

I have had random mechanics on Craigslist suggest straight piping the catalytic convertor, unplugging the O2 sensor, unplugging the mass air flow sensor, replacing the O2/MAF sensor...but I am stuck. I don't want to keep replacing parts until I can narrow down the issue.

I called the dealership to see about reflashing the pcm for my vin#, but they won't flash an Acura pcm for a Honda. What are my options? The car is mechanically sound, with only 150k miles on it. Is there any way to fix the electrical issue, so I can get a few more months out of the car?

Old 10-27-2014, 06:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Was the Acura engine the same liters as yours (1.7)? Mismatched size is never going to run right.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:57 AM

Yes, same size. It was listed as a compatible part, and ran perfectly for 3 weeks.