Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Emergency!!!

Old 07-11-2009, 12:04 PM
HCF Member
Default Emergency!!!

I really need to get my car on the road by monday.....but I can not get the crank pulley bolt out. I am changing my timing belt and have everything taken apart EXCEPT for the crank pulley.

I went out and bought an air compressor and an impact wrench that does 400ft/lbs and maxs at 625. It will not even budge. WTF do I do? I ordered the special crank pulley holding tool but it wont be here until Monday and I really want to get this job done. Its really pissing me off because if I want to buy a bigger impact wrench, I need to buy a bigger air compressor. I mean seriously.....400 ft/lbs!!!?!????!??!

There has to be another way. I have called Honda dealerships, Pepboys, Kragen, Harbor Freight, Sears.......no one has the crank pulley holding tool.

Someone PLEASE help......how do I get that bolt off!?

Old 07-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Administrator - Formerly 90Civtegra

is the crank spinning on you and thats why it wont come off? if so you can try to remove the flywheel inspection cover and put a pry bar in between the teeth of the flywheel to hold the crank still, be careful though you run the risk of damaging your fly wheel.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:18 PM
HCF Member

I did not want to go through the trouble of removing the starter and doing all that craziness. Its not that the pulley is spinning.....when I tried using my breaker bar, the pulley DID spin. But when I put the 400ft/lb impact on it....it DID NOT spin. I beat it with a hammer and sprayed some good ole' WD40 on the inside (of the pulley) and out of the bolt.

Still no luck.....

Old 07-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Angry Admin

try pb blaster thats stronger than wd40

Old 07-11-2009, 01:37 PM

as much as you probably dont want to hear it, your impact mostly likely doesnt have enough a$$ in it to break it loose if the bolt has never been taking off before. The first I removed my crank pulley bolt on my B18 my $550 Snap On 1/2 inch drive which has 810ft/lb of tq in reverse wouldnt break it loose.

I had to hold the fly wheel (which you dont have to remove the starter to get to, there is an access cover next to the oil pan) use my 24 inch breaker bar then another 4 foot cheater pipe and finally broke it loose.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Banned

Get the car to a mechanic. That's what I did. He put it on a lift, and broke it loose the old fashioned way. He even broke a socket while trying to get it off. Then he snugged up the bolt and I *carefully* drove it 10 miles back home. Came right off.

There's the inspection cover that has to come off, then another little thing near it that has to come off, it's held on by like 2 bolts. Then find a way to jam a crow bar in there and have a buddy crank the bolt off.

NOTE: On my car, in order to remove the inspection cover, you have to remove the brace between the engine and tranny. To do this, get a 1/4in ratchet and extension and stick the socket above the exhaust pipes and then stick the extension between the pipes and put the socket on the wrench then and you can loosen the brace bolts with the ratchet for both of those bolts.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Try a short, large diameter air hose between the compressor and the impact. Do not use those hard plastic curlycue hoses, they're very restrictive and will cut the available power from the wrench.

And it is standard right hand thread, turn counterclockwise to loosen.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:10 PM
HCF Member

I already have the fat air hose for the impact.....I am looking for the access cover for the fly wheel and can not find it. Can you be more specific as to were it is?

Old 07-11-2009, 03:17 PM

it looks like this

it is located at the bottom of the trans on the bell housing next to the oil pan

Old 07-11-2009, 03:26 PM
HCF Member

AWESOME!! Thank you very much sir! Now.....I remove BOTH brackets connecting the engine and trans and simply slip off the cover and insert pry bar or something to hold in place. Do I need to put jack or anything underneath the trans after removing the two brackets?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Emergency!!!