Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 10:52 AM
HCF Member
Default engine noise

I have a 99 civic ex auto trans with about 165000 miles. About a month ago it started making a noise. It was quiet at first but is now starting to get louder. It started it alittle after i changed the oil. I have checked the oil and it has been maybe 1/4 of a quart or less low, but thats about it. I have searched around the forum and have found a few things, but i'm still not sure what it is. Here is a link so that you can hear the noise. It's not that loud cause i had to use my phone to record it.

Voice-0001.wav

If you need anything else just let me know. My phone sucks when recording sounds and if i get to close to the car the sound is to loud and is distorted. But i can try to get a better recording if you need me to.

Thanks
radeon

Old 02-14-2009, 03:41 PM

where is da noise cumn from block, head

Old 02-14-2009, 03:47 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Check the three drive belts.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:14 PM
HCF Member

i'm not sure if it's the block or the head that the noise is coming from. Would it be that the belt is worn or loose?

Old 02-14-2009, 04:29 PM
HCF Member

Almost forgot, I was trying to get a better recording of the noise, which if my phone will ever work i can post the link, but it does it even when idling. I guess it did it before and it just wasn't loud enough for me to hear it, but now that it's starting to get louder you can.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Recognized HCF Member

It's difficult to help if you don't try to localize the source of the noise. Open the hood while the engine is idling, and locate where the noise is coming from. Post pictures of this area.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:18 PM
HCF Member

Ok will try and do this tomorrow. If i can find any kind of rubber hose around i read that i could use it to kinda hear into the engine a little better.

Thanks

Old 02-19-2009, 08:56 AM
HCF Member

ok, my father in law listened to the car and said that it's a spun rod. So, this may sound dumb, but any D series engine will fit in my car right?

Old 02-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes there are a lot of engines that will "fit" your car, but an exact replacement would be easiest because you won't have to replace anything else, like the ECU (computer). At least match up the cc size and whether it is VTEC or not. If your problem is only in the bottom of the engine you can reuse your VTEC head on a non-VTEC block.

Edit: Also you might want to get a second opinion on the diagnosis because it seems unlikely to drive for a month with a bad rod bearing and not have the engine throw a rod or otherwise blow out entirely.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:15 AM
HCF Member

I was thinking that to. But, if it is a spun rod then if i find a sohc non vtec 1.6L i can use it and just put the vtec head on like you said. Will it be the same as the engine i have in the car now or will it have less power? This is only the 2nd honda i have ever owed, the first one i only had for a month before it got totaled by an explorer hitting it, so i don't know a whole lot about the cars and what can and can't be done engine wise. So any info would be great.

Thanks

Would this engine work and just put the vtec head on it?

dent: D16Y7
Honda 1590cc (1.6L, 4 cyl).
Engine model D16Y7.
Multi-Point Fuel Injection (MFI)
SOHC.
16 valve.
106 H.P.
FWD.

Last edited by radeon55; 02-19-2009 at 11:19 AM.

Quick Reply: engine noise