Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine Overheat

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 06:12 PM
HCF Member
Default Engine Overheat

My Car has consistantly problems with the engine cooling "apparatus" if you would call it that... i bought a new radiator, radiator cap, the bottom radiator hose that busted... and I still have to add water to it every time I go on a long trip, because it will evaporate off and overheat. I know I should be using anitfreeze, but I do not want to waste in the radiator when it evaporates... There are no noticable leaks that drip from under the car. The only thing I can see is that the coolant reservoir lid has a crack in it and someone put JB weld on it, but could I lose it from that crack? If that is the problem, would any local parts store have the lid in stock, because I have some extra hoses that I could reconnect the radiator to it with.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:25 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Engine Overheat

Does the radiator fan run when the engine is hot?

Yes, you could lose water from a cracked reservoir. Try replacing it with one from a salvage yard.

If the problem still persists, you may have a bad head gasket.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:31 PM
HCF Member

I usually do not let it run hot, but when replacing radiator we tried heating up the sensor to see if it would turn on, and it didnt. I did turn on a few times when it didn't need it. The only fan I have seen and heard on is the AC fan, which i don't know why it turns on anyway...

Old 05-01-2008, 07:36 PM
HCF Member

even if you say there are no leaks, just double check to see if the bottom radiator plug is tightened securely.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Well a fan that doesn't run could contribute to the overheating. Pull off the connector for the coolant temperature switch on the thermostat housing, and then jumper wire the connector. With the ignition key turned to ON, the fan should run continuously. If so, the coolant temperature switch needs to be replaced. (In the meantime, leave the connector jumped to help prevent overheating.) If not, you might have a blown fuse, a bad fan relay, or a bad fan.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:20 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Besides the major corrosion you'll get from plain water, plain water also boils sooner than antifreeze solution. Put the proper solution in now. It's also easier to see where it leaks out than water.

There are several little hoses on the back of the engine and intake manifold that can leak. Many of these are best inspected from under the car. Also check the water pump weep hole near the alternator. It must be leaking somewhere.