Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Unhappy Engine Problem!

To make a very long story short, I have an engine that I've put years of work into! Well about 2 years ago I parked it in my back yard and then it ran perfectly fine! Well I started it about 2 or 3 times within the last couple years but now that I'm trying to get it back to perfect shape and get it to the track it wont start! It has the perfect amount of oil in it, and when I start it it starts but the car shakes and white smoke blows out the exaughst! It wont stay at an idle and will just shut off! when I push the gas in it won't go over 2,000 RPMS and when I let off the gas it dies! Then it won't start up for the rest of the day! I have to wait a complete day before I do it again, but it repeats the same process! I haven't touch it since the other day and now needs somebodies help on this issue because the shop that used to do my work went out of buisness! Any help will be awesome! Somebody tried telling me it could be my throttle positioning sensor for sitting so long?

Old 05-11-2009, 01:00 PM

its ur ingition module , its deep in the disturber easy to fix an will run ya about 100$ bucks, either that or ur fuel pump is over heating

Old 05-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Recognized HCF Member

When it won't start, check for spark at the plugs and whether the fuel pump primes.

The white smoke suggests that coolant is burning in a cylinder)s), which suggests a blown head gasket. Compression test the cylinders.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:23 PM
gwl
HCF Member

Do you have old gas in the tank?

Old 05-12-2009, 03:43 PM

Yea the gas I think is over a year old, and then about a few months ago we put more gas in it! All 93 octane because they said never go under 92! Thanks GWL

I don't know how I could of blown the head gasket because I rarley drove it and the engine and head and everything was shipped to california and everything was new and put together? So I dunno but how do I check if the fuel pump is primed because I have been getting told its the fuel! There is spark I checked all the cylinders! Thanks Ron J

K I will check into getting a new ignition module maybe that will solve it! How do I check if the fuel pump is over heating? Thanks neo2345

Yesterday I installed my turbo timer so I tried starting it again! it started right up and idled for about 25 seconds before it died, what I noticed was when I pressed on the throttle nothing happened! no matter how much I gave throttle the rpm's wouldn't even move it just stayed at the same idle before it died!

Thanks guys

Old 05-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Banned

all are right but yeah youdont need to replace the dizzy just clean the cap and rotor. Also the gas drain the tank real easy. When ya do that drop the oil pan and look for water. If ya find that then your screwed. What was said up above yeah there is water in the cylinders and it turns to steam hinting the white smoke drain the whole motor and start fresh. Fuel pump overheating?

Old 05-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Fuel pump priming:

Turn the key to ON(II) and listen in the rear for the low humming noise of the fuel pump priming for 2 seconds. Do you hear it?
-----------------------

If you have spark, the ICM is fine. Is the spark bright white/bluish or weak orange?

Old 05-12-2009, 06:10 PM
gwl
HCF Member

I would drain the gas and change the oil and spark plugs. Check for a clean spark on the plugs when your done.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:17 PM

Thanks for all your guys help I really appreciate it! So Last night I turned my key on and I heard the fuel pump prime for about 2-3 seconds before the sound stopped! Then we checked my fuel filter to see if it was clogged, but it still looked brand new, we checked the injectors and fuel is streaming out perfectly like it should be! Then I took the distributor off and checked for condisation but everything checked out perfect! Honestly when I start it for the 1st time in the day it stays running for roughly 15-18 second, but when you press the throttle down it will not rev the RPM! When it dies on its own I'll try to restart it and it'll stay on for about 3-5 second and then die and when I try for the 3rd time it absolutly won't start until I wait a long time for it to sit! When its on I swear it sounds like a bad miss fire, but all my wires on in perfectly and nothing has been moved around! Could it possibly be a throttle position sensor or crankshaft sensor or somthing in that order? I'll check my oil pan tonight and pressure within my cylinders and get back to you! Thanks once again

Old 05-13-2009, 03:22 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Is the CEL ON?

What color is the spark at the plugs when the engine WON'T start?

Quick Reply: Engine Problem!