Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Evap error = bad mileage???

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 08:02 AM
Default Evap error = bad mileage???

Any ideas on this would be great, (99 civic si 223000 kms [138600 mi])

My car has the 1457 (evap) error code. I commute 240 kms (149 mi) to work everyday, all hwy.

I borught my car to my local mechanic about a month ago when the CEL came on, where he diagnosed the CEL as 1457 error. He changed out my gas cap (there was an aftermarket ono on there at the time) charged me $100 (diagnose + new cap (OEM)). He said normally gas cap is the culprit for this error and i was on my way.

I start driving down the hwy and after about 100 kms (62 mi) the CEL came back on. I called my mechanic and he said if it is taking around 100 km for the leak to be detected it is not a big deal and probably just ignore it, but he said if it is really bothering me I would have to bring it to a dealer where they will have to do a smoke to determine where the leak is in the system. I would like to avoid the dealer if I can $$$'s.

I reset the CEL light a few times and it always comes back back on after driving around 100 kms.

I dont' mind ignoring the CEL but my mileage appears to have decreased. I was getting 7L/100km (32.5 mpg) on hwy (before CEL) and now I'm getting around 8.8 L/100km (26.5 mpg).

I changed my plugs and air filter this week and i noticed a slight improvement of 8.3 L/100km (28.5 mpg), but not much of improvement.

This works out to about and extra $4.00 per tank in Canadian gas prices. Due to my commute I am filling up every 2 days.

My gas gauge when going around corners will move sometimes as much as 1/4" up or down depending on the direction of the corner (except when tank is fully topped up). I add this in here because I don't remember my gauge moving all that much during my driving before the CEL. Could this indicate that the tank pressures are not being properly regulated?

I live in Canada and through my research on this I've also read that mpg's can be affected by cold temps. It's not crazy cold hear but it can be between -5 (23f) and -10 (14 f) on any given day in January & February.

So, before I go off and give my left nut to the dealer to diagnose and repair, does anyone out there have any ideas i could investigate or DIY before I commit to $$$'s of loonies?

Thanks.

Ps, I am aware of the TSB dealing with the evap canister and road salt potentially compromising the unit or hoses. So this could be the problem but i am unsure.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Evap error = bad mileage???

You need to get the codes pulled again to see if you don't have a different new problem this time.

If the only code is still evap you should go back to the mechanic and offer him a chance to find the real problem now or get your diagnosis money back if he can't.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:53 PM

I know what you are saying, but before I went to the mechanic the first time I reset the CEL several times and it would reappear after around 100kms.

After the mechanic read error and replaced the gas cap, same thing every 100kms after a few CEL resets.

So that being said, i'm pretty sure I'm getting a 1457 error.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Avoid speculating and retrieve the code yourself:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1901557

Old 02-08-2008, 05:20 AM
HCF Member

A loose/leaking gas cap would set off P1456 - that's an EVAP leak in the tank.

P1457 is an evap leak in the canister part of thesystem. Look for loose or cracked vacuum hoses around the canister. Several solenoid valve around there can corrode & quit working.

I went thru this on our '98 Accord so the EVAP system is probably similar but not identical. Still, the definition of eachcode should be the same.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:05 AM
gwl
HCF Member

Having a CEL on will affect your mileage. Your motor will run a little richer.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:21 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: gwl

Having a CEL on will affect your mileage. Your motor will run a little richer.
Often true, but not always. It depends on which error code, and what exact problem caused it to throw that code.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:57 PM

I hope to pull the code tommorow so I am sure.

To access the canister for Inspection? Is this acheived by pulling out the back seat and removing some steel panelling to view? I've read that some components are located near or if not in the wheel well?

Just wondering what is the best to way to access for inspection?

Thanks.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:38 PM
HCF Member

What that dumbass should have done was hook up an evap tester to it. It hooks up to your evap system and pumps smoke through it and you go through your car and look for leaks which the smoke will come from.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:29 PM

i did not have time to check my error code today.

But i did come across my receipt tonight from my mechanic from a month ago who changed the gas cap.

Now I am really confused and questioning my mech's competency.

Here is what the receipt reads at the bottom.

"EVAP CODE P1454"
"EVAP LEAK-EVAP AREA"

Problem is, from my research, P1454 is not an Evap error it's " P1454 Fuel Tank Pressure (FTP) Sensor Range/Performance Problem" (not to say they aren't related)

I am away this week, but I guess I'll have to track down my mech soon and figure out what it was EVAP or FTP. (i'll also try and read error code on my own for confirmation)

Quick Reply: Evap error = bad mileage???