Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Extra cranks for the engine to start.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 02:48 AM
Default Extra cranks for the engine to start.

Hey guys,

It's entering winter season now over here. And i have realized that my 02 civic cranks a few extra times before it starts up. Most of my co-workers' car starts immedietly after they turn their key. I thought that changing the spark plugs which i did would take care of the problem, but it didn't.

Today after i got off work at 3 am....i realized that it took the engine 5 to 6 cranks to start up. Which kind of worried me. Any ideas why??

Extra info:
1. The engine runs smoothly after start up.
2. Drives fine.
3. I do not believe it's a battery problem because it sounds pretty juicy when the engine cranks.
4. After the engine warms up....i shut it off and let it cool for 5 minutes then start it up again. And it starts immediatly.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:59 AM
HCF Member

got to autozone or other parts store and have them check your alternator and battery
its free

Old 10-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Chubby Chaser

i say change your fuel filter, how many miles are on it?

Old 10-13-2009, 12:18 PM
HCF Member

Yea man, I'm right there with you. Like said above go to autozone and have then check out for battery and alt. Im gonna go get mine checked as it takes a bit longer then it normally does.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:44 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by acidgambit
Hey guys,

It's entering winter season now over here. And i have realized that my 02 civic cranks a few extra times before it starts up. Most of my co-workers' car starts immedietly after they turn their key. I thought that changing the spark plugs which i did would take care of the problem, but it didn't.

Today after i got off work at 3 am....i realized that it took the engine 5 to 6 cranks to start up. Which kind of worried me. Any ideas why??

Extra info:
1. The engine runs smoothly after start up.
2. Drives fine.
3. I do not believe it's a battery problem because it sounds pretty juicy when the engine cranks.
4. After the engine warms up....i shut it off and let it cool for 5 minutes then start it up again. And it starts immediatly.
I say don't worry about it. We bought our 1996 honda civic ex sedan brand new and it has done this from day one. It does it mostly when the engine is cold or has been sitting over night. I notice it does help when I turn the key all the way on with turning it over then give it a few seconds (put on my belt or something) and then start it. This helps in keeping the cranking down somewhat.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:38 PM

it's got 98k on it...almost 99k. Maybe i should try and plug my block heater in and see what happens. Thanks guys.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:43 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by jsusanka
I say don't worry about it. We bought our 1996 honda civic ex sedan brand new and it has done this from day one. It does it mostly when the engine is cold or has been sitting over night. I notice it does help when I turn the key all the way on with turning it over then give it a few seconds (put on my belt or something) and then start it. This helps in keeping the cranking down somewhat.
thats cuz you have to wait for the fuel pump to prime lol

Old 10-13-2009, 07:51 PM
Chubby Chaser

Originally Posted by acidgambit
it's got 98k on it...almost 99k. Maybe i should try and plug my block heater in and see what happens. Thanks guys.

have you done the timing belt and water pump yet?
beacuse its about that time and the timing belt stretches over a period of time and cause the timing to be off a little making it take longer to start.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:18 PM

i got my timing belt changed...but not the water pump...i totally forgot about the water pump when i had the dealership change out my timing belt. :S

Old 10-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Chubby Chaser

have you check your timing on it?
have you replaced the fuel filter?
have you checked the gap on the spark plugs?
have you tried putting some fuel injector cleaner in it?

Quick Reply: Extra cranks for the engine to start.