Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fails to Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Question Fails to Start

Does anyone have any suggestions to help me out with my Civic?
It is a 1999 Civic LX w/ 1.6L, 160K miles. Up until this morning it ran like a top. It started for about 2 seconds, ran extremely rough, and now cranks and cranks and won't start.
  • Pulled plugs and verified spark at each plug
  • Tried starter fluid with no luck - looking into intake manifold i can see/smell gas
  • pulled the timing belt cover and verified timing marks are lined up when #1 is TDC
  • Checked compression on each cylinder and at first it was all over the place but now gives consistant readings around 90psi

I'm at a loss and would appreciate any suggestions from someone with more experience!!

Old 10-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Are the cam and crank perfectly synchronized at TDC1?

Name:  picture_1563.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  49.6 KB

Old 10-27-2008, 05:19 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You may have a problem with the MAP or other sensor. Check the ECU for codes. I think this can be done with a jumper wire on a '99, but an OBDII scanner would give more detailed results.

If the engine is flooded with gas for example because of a bad sensor, starting fluid won't do anything. The last thing it needs is more fuel. You could try to clear flooding by cranking for several seconds with the throttle wide open, also try holding the gas pedal just slightly.

90 psi isn't great compression, but if all the cylinders have about the same compression it should start.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:24 PM

Just verified...they are all currently in alignment like the pictures you posted.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:28 PM

Earilier today they varied between 150 and 90, but now have settled around 90. Maybe its the drop in temperature outside? Would an OBDII work if the engine won't start? I thought those only worked when the "Check Engine" light is on? If so i can rent one from local autoparts store.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes codes can be read even if it doesn't start. Turn the key on and scan it. I'm not sure if the CEL stays on because there is a code until after the engine starts. It does come on and go out when you turn the key but don't crank, right?

Old 10-27-2008, 05:38 PM

Turned the key forward, CEL came on for about 3 seconds then went out. It will crank though. Guess I'll try the code scanner tomorow.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:49 PM

Do a search for 'main relay', and see if your symptoms match. If you've
got spark, your distributor is spinning, so Timing Belt is OK (at least
partially). Do you actually hear the fuel pump running for a second or
two, of just hear the relay click? If not, turn key to II and smack the
dash between the steering wheel and the door.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:56 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by BANKSBaker
Do a search for 'main relay', and see if your symptoms match. If you've
got spark, your distributor is spinning, so Timing Belt is OK (at least
partially). Do you actually hear the fuel pump running for a second or
two, of just hear the relay click? If not, turn key to II and smack the
dash between the steering wheel and the door.
I agree. Listen for priming of the fuel pump, though it's curious that the engine didn't fire with starting fluid. You may want to smell the motor oil for the presence of gasoline (flooded). If the oil has been thinned by gasoline, the compression may be too low to fire.

Last edited by RonJ; 10-27-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:22 PM

I hear the fuel pump priming (I assume). First few seconds after turning the key forward you can hear a humm. The humming then stops with a deep thunk (relay clicking off??). If i leave the key in the forward position and listen under the hood i can hear a faint buzzing noise but can't figure where it is coming from. Maybe somewhere near the fuel rail or throttle body?

Although i can see oil flowing though the valve train with the valve cover removed while cranking, you mention the possiblity of low oil pressure. Does the engine have a sensor that will not allow the engine to start with low oil pressure?

Thanks for everyones help!!

Quick Reply: Fails to Start